Stuff from around the island….
Hope you had a great sunny weekend, as we head into the rainy season….! Let’s see what’s going on around the island…
• This coming weekend my friend Hobbes is offering cooking classes, set to start this Saturday in Friday Harbor… they run Saturdays from Feb 27th, March 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th. He says: “Bring a pen and paper. Classes start at noon, at my condo opposite Downriggers, park up by Vinny’s, and walk down the steps keeping Vinny’s back wall on your right. It’s the first condo on the right – F202.
“Sign up by calling 360-370-5734 or capthobbes (at) gmail.com. It’s $45 per person. You will learn to make two sexy appetizers and a classic French meal, using all organic whole foods.”
• Keri from the Town tells me this month’s firefighter is Tony:
Town of Friday Harbor Firefighter Tony Smith moved here from McMinnville, OR when he was 14 years old. He joined the fire department after his family home burned down and currently enjoys working with the guys and helping people. Tony works full time as a landscaper, likes all kinds of music, and spends free time with friends, his sister and his dog. The hardest part about living in Friday Harbor is finding the time to go off island.
Tony is a Captain in the department, finds going on calls the most exciting, and the hardest skill to master is being a good leader. His ‘Ideal Day’ is having a ‘safe day.’
• It FEELS like spring, so this is a good day to do it – you can sign up for spring baseball, tee ball & softball now – here’s more.
• The Whale Museum is open seven days a week from 10-5 each day…and did you know that Thursdays are free for locals?
• Important bits around:
Today Kathryn Pinion turns 100!
Rumours & more rumours: I’ll check into ‘em – I heard someone’s talking about opening a Subway here, and that two very famous & important people on the island got married! I’ll get back to you if I hear more.
Meanwhile, Floyd & Adrienne Bourne delivered baby Atticus earlier this month (I love the name!), and the folks at Wells Fargo tell me Jessica & Andy Johnson delivered baby Sofia….
• Today’s the day you can drop by the Library to have your kid read with the dogs…the Island Tail Tutors drop in from 3:30-4:30pm.
Give it a try – this is a program co-sponsored by our friends at the Animal Shelter. (Here’s more.)
Speaking of the Animal Shelter, their fundraiser dinner is tonight.
• Music tonight at Pazzo Vivo – it’s uke players Nickie Davis and Jesse Berube tonight @ 7:00.