Good day to get out….
Hey! Here’s what’s up:
• Good day to watch sports here ion the island, weather permitting – girls tennis & baseball will be watching the skies & hoping to play, and boys’ soccer plays their first game regardless.
• Speaking of sports, there’s going to be a big fundraiser to raise it for the new fields going in on Carter Street – the deal is in April, but it’s time to think about donating to the auction – check out what’s happening here, and write them or call today!
• I know you’re already thinking about St. Patrick’s Day, and here’s a way to mix that with thinking about sustainablity – here’s a good place to start:
San Juan Vineyard and Piano and Wine:
Green Drinks Comes to Friday Harbor
Third Thursdays at SJV Piano and Wine Tasting Room
Join us Thursday, March 15 from 5-7 pm for the inaugural Friday Harbor Green Drinks! We are excited to join the list of more than 400 US Green Drinks cities!
For the first gathering we ask that you think of an act of sustainability that you found particularly inspiring and the result of that inspiration. We hope you’ll share it with the rest of us!
Green Drinks is a monthly gathering where environmentally minded people meet over drinks. Green Drinkers mingle and share insights and inspire and delight each other. All are welcome. www.greendrinks.org. Cheers!
Piano and Wine 55 Spring Street 360.378.9462
• Tricia Justice tells me that former islander, author & Northwest-wide known chef Greg Atkinson is opening a new restaurant on Bainbridge Island this weekend.
He’s calling it Marché. If you’re down that way, drop by & check it out!
• Just heard that Tyler Hart (FHHS ’07) has earned an unusual sixth year of eligibility to play football at Eastern Washington this fall, because he’s been hurt & missed enough games to be eligible for that…
T-Hart was part of the EWU national championship run in 2010, which the Eagles won in early 2011….
• Check out what Cynthia has going at XYZ Movement Arts next week:
Could you tell everyone about our upcoming Zumba Jam on 3/21 for Relay for Life – Zumba from 4:00 to 6:00 on Wednesday – Spring Solstice – all proceeds go to Relay for Life – Cynthia and Jacquelyn will be holding a Zumbathon with refreshments.
Come and dance for awhile, rest and visit with friends for awhile and then dance some more.
Great music, refreshments and a wonderful cause!
• Need a ride? Here’s a report from Friday Harbor Taxi you might find useful:
Friday Harbor Taxi is starting a morning pickup and an afternoon return from anywhere on the Island.
We start picking up at your home at 8:30am and will take you downtown no later than 9:30am. We start picking up in Friday Harbor at 2:30pm and will have you home no later than 3:30pm.
Basically, we pick you up at home, you spend a few hours downtown for: Shopping, Medical appointments, Lunch at the Senior Center, Church, whatever. Then we bring you home in the afternoon.Price: $5.00 per person each way – Friends and Neighbors vouchers accepted.Reservations requested 24 hours in advance. We’re offering this service 7 days a week, through May 20th, inclusive. Call 298-4434 or 378-4280 for a reservation!
• Did you know about this project? Way cool:
Friday Harbor Marine Health Observatory is a long term year-round research project that aims to create a measurement of the health of the Port of Friday Harbor by counting marine invertebrates throughout the year and noting changes in populations, diversity, location, and seasonality.
Seven teams of 2-3 volunteers are each assigned a section of a dock, and once a month they monitor their section for about two hours. Monitors also collect environmental data such as water visibility, temperature, depth and weather, and take water samples to measure for water quality.