Around the island….
Let’s see what’s going on ’round here:
• The report from Baltimore is that our Orca Bowl (from FHHS) team placed ninth in the country – wahoo! Way to go, you guys!!! We’re proud of you!
• Yep, it’s true – the FHHS softball team beat Lynden Christian 4-3, with Emily Guard scoring the go-ahead run in the bottom of the seventh, on Saturday – way to go, Wolverines!
Over in Lynden, our soccer guys lost to a tough Lynden Christian team 7-0….
Meanwhile, our baseball team gave tough Meridian all they could handle before dropping a 2-1 squeaker on Thursday.
And…here’s how everyone did in track at the LaConner Invitational on Friday (complete results!)
• Just heard from Maddie Leiren (FHHS ’09) that her creations were shown yesterday in a prestigious fashion show in Los Angeles – here’s more (and…way to go, Maddie!):
I was featured today in the California Fashion Symposium runway show in the fashion district of Downtown Los Angeles with two of my garments!
The show is by selection only and features the best of the best of Californian schools’ fashion programmes, so it was really exciting knowing I was one of few California fashion students whose pieces made it into the show.
The runway show took place in the California Market Centre which is home to some of the biggest showrooms in California where LA Market Week and held each season buyers from stores come to order their selections to carry in their shops.
• Did you know Johnny Moses will be speaking at the meeting of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship today (Sunday) at 10am at the Mullis Center? See ya here…
• On the loose – here’s the report from Michael Rolfe on Saturday, late:
We had two peacocks in our back yard this morning….they were too fast to get a picture, and headed off to the West toward the Solid Waste Transfer station (we are up on Terrace Dr, just outside of town). I know we don’t have native peacocks here, so I figure they may just have gotten loose from someone’s yard.
• This presentation for parents is a good deal – here’s more from Debbi Fincher about Gloria De Gaetano, for a conversation on the teen brain and communication:
Gloria is back by popular request! We had Gloria here about 4 years ago. As part of our “Author Series” with our partner, the San Juan Island Library, Gloria offers parents her expertise on the issue of Digital Media and the Developing Mind! Gloria’s approach is very respectful and gives parents real ideas on how to motivate media-saturated kids! Come feel supported in your role as parent in these challenging times:) This Wednesday, April 25th FHHS Commons, 6pm-8pm.