Around the island….
A warm weekend ahead for you & me – let’s take a peek around:
• This is the last weekend for Island Stage Left’s “Someone Who’ll Watch Over Me” (tonight & tomorrow night at 7:30pm, and matinees on Saturday & Sunday at 4pm)…easily one of the best shows they’ve done. Don’t miss it!
• At The Rumor Mill tonight it’s the One More Time Band, with the Rat City Brass on Saturday. Here’s a bit more about the RCB:
Two trumpets, trombone, guitar, keys, bass, percussion, & drums recreate the sound of “Whipped Cream”-era Herb Albert & the Tijuana Brass. The band plays earnest homage to the suave yet playful music of the Tijuana Brass, taking audiences not only to the dance floor of the 1960s, but to Herb Albert’s imaginary border-town cantina where classic American pop gets a stiff shot of tequila,
loosens its collar, and decides that Saturday night starts right now.
Rat City Brass calls their music “mid-century instrumental pop.” Your parents might call it “easy listening.” Those who’ve witnessed RCB in action call it fun.
• Meanwhile, over at Herb’s Tavern, Tony Floreno is playing tonight, starting at 9:30pm.
• Great to hear that Barbara Marrett was chosen to work at the Visitors’ Bureau to take Robin Jacobson’s place – I’ve known her for years & she’s a smart hard worker who will be a real asset to the group – way to go, VB!
• Are you going to the Know Your Island walk tomorrow at Lime Kiln? Eileen from the Trails Committee asked that I remind you you have to pay for your parking with cash or check, because they don’t take credit cards there.
• Opening Day is almost here! Are you ready? Here’s more from Dave Aas:
The 2012 San Juan Island Opening Day Boat Parade sponsored by the San Juan Island Yacht Club will be Sunday May 6 at 2:30 PM. The theme for the parade is “Pirates of The Salish Sea.” The parade is open to all human powered, power and sail boats. Prizes will be awarded in the following categories: Traditional, Classic, Commercial and Pirate Themed. Spectators may watch the the parade from Spring Street Landing. Register for the parade at WWW.SJIYC.com or email to Fleetcaptain@SJIYC.com.