Around the island…
Let’s take a look:
• Who says Christmas only comes once a year?
Check out the semi-annual garage sale hosted by Surina Business Park! Happening at Star Storage, 50 Malcolm Street, Saturday the 16th from 9am to 4pm (no early birds please). Happy shopping!
• Music this weekend: The Shotgun Messengers at Herb’s Tavern on Friday & Saturday, while the Rumor Mill offers Live Band Karaoke with Tony tonight & The Rhythmatics on Saturday night!
• Got a place for rent here on the island? Call Brian at 378-2617…he’s looking for a spot for his family (him & his wife & four kids). Reliable folks…you’ll like ‘em!
• The Fair wants YOU! One of the biggest events of the year needs your help!
San Juan County Fair & Events Manager Rev Shannon is requesting Superintendents for two important departments, Island Writers and Junior Arts and Crafts. This is a wonderful opportunity to contribute to the Fair and keep these departments alive, as without a Superintendent they will be canceled. Submissions are due in mid July for Island Writers so they need volunteers as quickly as possible. Give Rev a call at 378-4310 if you’re interested in helping out!
• What a deal! Leslie at the Animal Shelter has more…
Instead of charging $125 for a door ticket, Wags to Riches will only be charging $85. Tickets are still available now and at the door. Come show support for our beloved Animal Shelter this weekend at the fundraiser! It’s going to be a blast.
Here’s the video from a couple of years ago…great fun!
• Passing: Just heard that David Champlin passed away this week, at the age of 101…and that Felicity’s mom Joyce Milne passed away at 93….condolences to the family….
• I want to hold them like they do in Texas please…Amber Garcia has more:
It’s summertime, that means hello, Relay for Life! The Relay’s Poker Tournament Team, Hakuna Matata, will be hosting a fundraiser this Saturday at the China Pearl. Prizes will include: 4 Mariners Tickets, 36 Holes of Golf Plus Golf Cart at San Juan Golf & Country Club, Sunset Kayak Tour with Discovery Seas Kayak, Fishing Reel and Rod, Gift Basket from The Hot Shop, Gift Certificates for Bowling and Pizza, The Place, The Bean, and Hailey’s Bait Shop. See the flier for more details, and good luck!
• Morning, Art, and People…here’s more from Ruth at Waterworks Gallery:
Check out the Artist Talk happening 11am this Saturday the 16th at Waterworks Gallery by featured painter Dominik Modlinski!
Reception to follow from 2-5pm where you can chat with renowned landscape painters Dominik and Tim Schumm about their beautiful artwork and many outdoor adventures around the Northwest.
• Talk about generosity…Charlie from the Community Foundation has more:
The San Juan Community Foundation awarded a whopping $130,000 in scholarships for the 2012/2013 academic year!
Of that $130,000, $47,000 is going straight to this year’s graduates and $85,000 is going to 2011 grads who reapplied. There were two types of scholarships awarded: the John Volk Memorial Scholarship, which is a program of the San Juan Pilots Association, and the Inskeep Scholarship, which is a one year renewable award based on exceptional need and promise to succeed.
Students from both Spring Street International School and Friday Harbor High School received Inskeep Scholarships this year. Next time you see Amanda Brast, Julie Hagn, Jenny MacDonald, Larissa Nash, Audrey Olshefsky, Connar Smith, Mandy Turnbull, or Malcolm Wynn, give them a hug and a hearty, “Congrats!” as you know they will make the Community Foundation and all the people who know them very proud.