Let’s take a look around the island & see what’s up!
• Island-raised Erin Woodard is engaged to her best friend Ray Thompson! The date is set for August 3rd and the wedding will take place down in Mexico. Here’s a website she made that has all the details from the proposal to guest directions.
• Have a spare riding mover? David Dehlendorf could really use one to keep the grass at the Roche Harbor Dog Park in check. Send him a quick e-mail at dauffa(at)gmail.com if you’re feeling generous!
• Pictures of Saturday’s Fly In are up! Fred Schumacher and Bob Tauscher have a great slideshow featuring both people and planes.
• Roy’s is all decked out for Relay for Life; stop by and support their fundraising by buying Moons & Stars! It’s all for a great cause….
• Erin isn’t the only one with great things ahead… Tobi Lehman is finished with college and is already employed! Anyone who went to school to Friday Harbor High School with him can remember how computer savvy he is. Here’s a bit more from his dad Ron:
Tobi Ross Lehman has graduated cum laude on June 17, 2012 from Portland State University earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics.
He scored highest on the prestigious Putnam Competition, making him the sole plaque entry for 2011 at PSU.
Even before graduating he began employment at Resource Data Inc. in Portland,OR where he is currently full-time.
• Lots of friendly islanders including Eli Bailey, Sandy Rabinowitz, and Casey McLean turned out to help Jan and Jon Murphy find their lost dog Paco (right). He was wedged in a pretty tight spot, as you can see!
• A big thank you to Islander’s Bank from the Friday Harbor Weight Watchers! Here’s more from Gina:
The group is coming up on its two year anniversary and couldn’t have existed without the donated conference room for their weekly meetings. The collective weight loss is up at 3,107 lbs and going strong!
• Fair Events Manager Rev Shannon is working hard! The Fair website has been updated with info about headlining performers and some schedules are already available to view, such as 4H and horses.
• Jan Murphy from Wolf Hollow could use some help…in the form of delicious cookies! Why? Wolf Hollow is doing a cookie booth at the fair and need as many as possible. You don’t even have to bake them last minute, they have lots of freezer space available! Call Jan at 298-2195 for further arrangements.
• On that same sweet note, the San Juan County Fair Baking Department could use some entries and volunteers! Kris Brown has more:
Volunteers are needed as judges on Tuesday, August 14th and to staff the booth for short shifts Wednesday through Saturday, August 15-18.
Yes, you taste entries as a judge. Yes, you can serve up entries to fairgoers as a booth volunteer. No, you don’t have to be a master chef to participate. Just check out the department rules (especially bring entries in a resealable plastic bag to keep down the fruit flies), plan your entry and enter on time. Full details can be accessed here.
Last year more than 40 men, women and children gave two to three hours and helped make the booth the best ever. Plus we had more than 200 entries in adult and youth categories. Let’s top that this year.
• Local author and third generation islander Sam Buck will be speaking about his book “Believe your Experience” on Thursday July 26 from 7-9pm at the Lavendera Massage Center. Although “you may find the book has more questions than answers,” it will no doubt prompt an evening of great discussion about consciousness and more.