Friday, in the news….
Great weather outside, whether you’re walking to the FHHS football game or heading to the theatre or the beach….let’s see what’s up:
• OK, I’ve heard from four people so far who say the Community Theatre’s The Crucible is in the “don’t miss” category, after last night’s opening….check it out!
• The League of Women Voters has set the schedule for the candidate/issue forums – here’s the deal, from Sarah Crosby (I’m posting this a week early so you can make plans…):
The League of Women Voters of the San Juans will hold candidate forums in advance of the November General election as follows:
San Juan Island: Friday October 12 – 6:00pm to 8:00pm at the Middle School Commons
Orcas Island: Saturday October 13 – 1:00pm to 3:00pm at the Senior Center
Lopez Island: Saturday October 13 – 4:00pm to 6:00pm at Grace Episcopal Church
Statewide and Federal Candidates have been invited, as have candidates for County Council. Issues to be debated are the GMO Free San Juan measure and the proposed changes to the County Charter. The forums will be moderated by League members.
The League of Women Voters does not endorse candidates or political parties, but does encourage informed and active participation in government. We work to increase understanding of major public policy issues, influence public policy through education and advocacy and do take stands on issues after study and consensus
For additional information, please contact Steve Bowman at 370 5814, or by email at email@example.com.
• Richard Rodriguez has a new class coming up:
Greetings former students and potential Captains:
Zenith Maritime will be offering a 100 ton Masters Class on San Juan Island in November and December. This is our 10th year of instruction in the San Juans. The venue for this class is a private facility near Mt. Dallas. The course will be held from Nov 5 – Dec 19. on Mon-Tues and Wed from 5:30-9:30 pm. Space is extremely limited and only four seats are available.
Tuition is $1,400 if you and $1,300 if you preregister by October 15, 2012. All books, charts and Coast Guard testing is included. Call or email ASAP to reserve a spot.
Capt. Richard Rodriguez, Director of Operations, Zenith Maritime
• Have you seen Jenn Rigg’s new shirts, with Dall’s porpoises on ‘em? Take a look at her website for more….
• Val Curtis’ Bonbon Break blog just posted Judy Chovan’s report of her time in Rwanda – here’s more.
• Get your tickets now! The Duck Soup Inn is hosting the Doggone Good Dinner next week, October 10 at 6 pm.Anna Lisa tells me there are still seats available, and it is a fun event for such a good cause, the Friday Harbor Animal Shelter. Call 378-4878 for more info.
• The Mosquito Fleet Mercantile‘s Fifth Anniversary continues its celebration till Sunday….drop by! (Tell ‘em you saw it in the Update!)
• Are you dropping by Open Mike at the Rumor Mill tonight? I’ll be trying to make it…
• Denyse tells me the Tigers are having a good time this season:
Friday Harbor Tigers Football is now in the middle of their season! The Freshman Tigers have a record of 2-2 and the Junior Tigers are 1-4. This Saturday, October 6, the Freshman will be playing in LaConner and the Juniors in Concrete, both teams they defeated earlier in the season.
Our last home games for both teams will be on October 20 beginning at 10:45 a.m. and would love for the whole community to come out and support these boys and the group of cheerleaders who have worked hard this season.
• Yesterday was the Feast of St. Francis (in honor of which – here’s my version of Brother Son, Sister Moon) – and here’s more from Jan at St. Francis Catholic Church:
Father Heffernan will be outside St. Francis Church, 425 Price Street, on Saturday, October 6th, at 11:00 am to bless our animals. Everyone is welcome. Donations collected will be split between the animal shelter and Wolf Hollow.