Today on the island….
Let’s check to see what’s up….
• The ferry terminal is open to vehicles on Orcas today, after being closed most of the week – here’s the scoop from WSF:
The Orcas Island Terminal will open to vehicles and take traffic beginning with the 10:35 a.m. departure from Anacortes. The 11:35 a.m. departure from Friday Harbor will take vehicles to Orcas. The 12:10 p.m. departure from Orcas to Anacortes and the 12:25 p.m. Orcas/Interisland departure, and all departures following, will carry vehicles as well.
• We’re all keeping an eye on that storm on the east coast – it’s heading north this morning….
• Have you voted yet? Don’t put it off!
• This has become an annual tradition on the island, to get away from the sometimes-scariness of the holiday….here’s more from Kris Brown:
Join us for HarvestFest 2012, October 31 from 5:30 to 7:30p.m. at Friday Harbor Elementary School. This safe, kid-friendly, family-oriented alternative for toddlers, preschool & elementary age children to experience the fun of trick-or-treating without the crowded streets & scary costumes of older kids. Everything is free and open to children up through sixth grade and their parents.
This year we have new features including glutten-free and healthy snacks and four new games: mini-golf, pin the face on the pumpkin, pumpkin bowling and a football toss. Plus there are hotdogs, popcorn and pie for those coming right from work.
Started as a Harvest party more than 25 years ago by Islands Community Church, we have moved to town with the help of volunteers from Calvary Chapel San Juan Island, Christ the King Community Church, Paideia Classical School and Friday Harbor Presbyterian. Check out all the details, or sign up to help at www.harvestfestfh.org.
+++++++++• The shows ends this weekend…be sure & drop by Waterworks Gallery today or tomorrow & catch Catherine Eaton Skinner‘s encaustic & oil works. I got to see her work at the opening and it’s amazing….don’t miss it!
• Can you help? There’s a campaign to fund a film about islander Roy Matsumoto (he was part of Merrill’s Marauders in World War II – here’s the scoop. And…wow. Read it…you’ll want to help.