Around the island…
Hoping you’re having a sunny day, outside & in – here’s what’s up:
• The high school Orca Bowl team heads for Baltimore & hopes of national glory this week…we’ll keep ya posted how it all goes! (Here’s the story about their statewide win last month…these guys rock!)
• John Bostrom noted the coming of spring: “Pecked in the forehead AGAIN by that bullying Rufus Hummingbird…that’s like five years in a row. Guess I better stop wearing red!”
Hard to imagine a Red Sox fan NOT wearing red….
• The Whale Museum has an Earth Day special for signing up for an Orca Adoption – here’s more.
• He’s underway – Hobbes Buchannan has just started San Juan Whale & Wildlife Tours this spring, and has already got his season going with trips this past week – here’s his new website that tells his approach – you’ll like what you see!
• Passing: Just heard yesterday that Jon Weaver unexpectedly passed away…more when we hear more. In the meantime, our deepest feelings & condolences to Tamara in her loss…
• Katie Fleming has a cool event this weekend for Earth Day – check it out – here’s the scoop & the poster:
Celebrate Your Island on Earth Day
Sunday, April 22, 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Brickworks Plaza, 150 Nichols Street, Friday Harbor
On April 22, more than one billion people around the planet will participate in Earth Day 2012. The Stewardship Network of the San Juans is excited to bring the community together to celebrate our island and the numerous environmental gifts it gives us.
Join us and enjoy music by Rhiana Franklin, participate in a community art project and learn about local environmental stewardship programs and how you can get involved. All ages are welcome and encouraged. Find out more about the global Earth Day movement here: www.earthday.org/2012
Brought to you by the Stewardship Network of the San Juans, San Juan Islands Agricultural Guild and many community members, teachers and students.
• Farmers Market- this weekend! Don’t miss it!
• Lavendera Massage has their monthly Free Community Health Service Evening this Thursday at 7pm – here’s more. And trust me, you want to go.
• You have it on your schedule, right? There are only two weekends left of Island Stage Left’s “Someone Who’ll Watch Over Me”….you don’t want to miss it!