“Take your food and yard waste to a better place…”
A free composting workshop is happening Saturday, August 4th at the San Juan County Fairgrounds from 11am to 2pm. You can learn to build and operate your own 3-Bin Composting System, which benefits the environment, your yard, and your wallet. Helen Vanada from the County’s Solid Waste Division has more:
You are invited to a free workshop at the Fairgrounds to learn how to build a 3-bin composting system. I’ve attended a lot of composting workshops over the past several years and I’m always impressed with the new and useful information I learn each time.
This workshop will build a 3-bin composting system (used to manage larger amounts of yard/green waste) and teach us to create a healthier garden and yard. The bins will be used as a demonstration at this year’s County Fair.
- Composting is nature’s recycling system that will make your plants healthier and will improve your soil’s water-holding capacity.
- You can save money on your trash disposal bill while turning your lawn clippings, plant materials, and other green waste into a free soil amendment.
- Composting on-site is more convenient than hauling your yard waste to a disposal location; it’s also more hygienic to compost your food waste than to mix it with your trash that gets trucked, ferried, and railed to the mainland.
- Composting saves landfill space and helps to keep “resources” on-island.
- Burning leaves and brush produces air pollution…so why not add them to your compost pile instead?
No need to register for the workshop; just stop in! Your yard may thank you next year.