• Val Curtis (co-editor for Bonbon Break) told me her son Cole came to a realization, at the Fair last week:
C was having a COMPLETE meltdown as we were leaving the fair. The reason: “Cotton candy is NOT GOOD! I have been WAITING for it and it tastes like TIGER FUR!!!”
As the weather cools a bit, there sure is a lot going on….let’s check it out:
• Ezra Paskus, Outreach Specialist for the Mobile Community Service Office West, Department of Social and Health Services in Olympia, invites you to drop by if you need a hand:
Hi – could help us spread the word? The WA State DSHS Mobile Community Service Office will be at the Family Resource Center at 500 Market Street, Friday Harbor, on August 22 and 23 from 11 am to 5pm, both days. It will be available to the local community to apply for food, cash, and medical assistance, drug and alcohol treatment services, child care services, replacement EBT cards, dropping off paperwork, completing reviews and making changes to existing cases. Thank you!
• Did you see how the 8.8 Loop Run turned out, last Saturday? Here’s more, on the Island Rec website…..
• The Whale Museum continues its Research Lecture Series on Wednesday August 22 at 7:00pm with Breck Tyler of the University of California Santa Cruz and the University of Washington Friday Harbor Labs. Here’s more from Cindy Hansen:
Breck Tyler is a researcher with the Institute of Marine Sciences at UC Santa Cruz with 35 years experience studying the ecology and conservation of seabirds and marine mammals in California, the Pacific Northwest, and Hawaii. Currently he oversees programs to monitor seabird and marine mammal populations and reduce harm to these populations during oil spills. Each winter, he studies nesting albatrosses at Midway Atoll.
Breck is also a visiting professor at the University of Washington Friday Harbor Labs where he is currently teaching a biology of marine birds and mammals course. He also teaches a research apprenticeship at the Labs each fall focusing on marine birds and mammals in San Juan Channel.
The August 22 lecture is free and open to the public, although donations are encouraged. For more information, call (360) 378-4710 ext. 23. The Whale Museum is located in Friday Harbor at 62 First St. N.
Founded in 1976, The Whale Museum’s mission is to promote stewardship of whales and the Salish Sea ecosystem through education and research. In addition to providing exhibits, the Museum also provides programs including the Marine Naturalist Training, Orca Adoption Program, Soundwatch Boater Education, San Juan Islands Marine Mammal Stranding Network, and the Whale Hotline. The Whale Museum can be found on-line at www.whalemuseum.org.
• Here’s Coldwell Banker’s real estate report for the first half of 2012, prepared by Merri Ann Simonson.
• Hey! Do you need to take Driver’s Ed? I love what Sam Leigh is doing with her business, giving folks a local option for the classes – here’s when things get going this fall:
Right of Way Driving School’s next class session will meet MONDAYS and WEDNESDAYS beginning Monday, September 10th through October 29th, from 5:30-7:30 pm with the registration deadline on Wednesday, Sept 5th 2012.
For those who can not make the September Session ROWDS is also taking registrations for November 2012 as well. All interested students and parents can email Sam Leigh at drive (at) rightofwaydrivingschool.com or call (360) 298-4399 to receive complete program and registration information.