Stay Local this Holiday Season
Barbara Marrett of the SJI Visitor’s Bureau shares this info about events happening around here this holiday season…
Island Lights Festival Brings Good Cheer
Stay home to shop and celebrate cozy holidays island-style
Why not stay home or visit a neighboring island to ring in the season? Eastsound Village Green, Lopez Village and Friday Harbor will all sparkle during their signature lighting events with singing by local choirs, cookies and hot cider to brighten spirits. There’s so much to do during the Island Lights Festival and beyond, with holiday plays and concerts; wine tastings and dinners; special restaurant and lodging packages and more. Take a walk on a stormy beach, cozy up to glass of local wine by the fire, or get a rejuvenating massage. Shop small-scale at artisans’ fairs, boutiques, galleries and independent bookstores for one-of-a-kind gifts.
For the first time ever, the San Juan Islands Visitors Bureau is running a small campaign to entice visitors here during November and December – our quiet season. Visitors are invited to: “Make everyday a celebration in November and December. Savor the simple pleasures of carolers, tree lightings, quiet bookstores, uncrowded shops featuring local artists and artisans, and snug firesides. Make the San Juan Islands your personal holiday retreat.” Find more suggestions for a Cozy Island Holiday on our “Featured Itineraries” section at www.visitsanjuans.com.
Friday Harbor/San Juan Island Events:
- IMA Islands Artists’ Registry Show, Nov. 21 – Jan. 11
- Artisans Holiday Marketplace, Nov. 27-28
- San Juan Vineyards Holiday Wine Tasting, Nov. 28
- WaterWorks Holiday Show, Nov. 28 – Jan. 3
- SJ Historical Museum Old-Fashioned Christmas Celebration, Dec. 3
- Tree Lighting & Caroling, Dec. 4
- Holiday Social at English Camp, Dec. 15
- Island Stage Left “Christmas Memories”, Dec. 17-24
- Lighted Boat Parade & Santa’s Arrival, Dec. 19
And if you’re heading off island…
Lopez Island Events:
Orcas Island Events:
- Holiday Tree Lighting on the Village Green & Santa, Dec. 4
- Orcas Choral Society Holiday Concert, Dec. 5
- Artisan’s Faire, Dec. 5-6
- Orcas Island Chamber Music Festival – Leaves of Gold, Dec. 10 -11
Additional holiday events and specials, as they are added, maybe found at this link.