Preserved Foods for the San Juan County Fair
Minnie Knych reminds us that its time to get our preserved food ready for the fair…
Only 24 days until the fair! Have you started harvesting and preserving the tastes of summer yet? If you have a back yard garden plan to enter some of your preserved foods in the fair. The Food Preservation Department is featuring something for everyone at the 2016 San Juan County Fair.
Of course we have to have our twice daily jam and jelly tastings. This is a chance for the general public to vote on a best tasting jam or jelly. The winning entry of the vote gets a People’s Choice award.
Check the daily fair schedule for fascinating and educational demonstrations including in the Food Preservation Department including:
- Putting up with Honey – Go completely organic by making your preserves with honey!
- Alpha Beets – a great demo for the kids that will surely make them eat their vegetables!
- Sauerkraut & Kimchi – easy, organic and provides natural probiotics that are good for you
We’ve also added some new categories for entries.
- Do you have a favorite soup mix or bread mix? If so you can put your mix in a jar. Include a label with the recipe and enter it in the county fair to win prizes and ribbons.
- Dehydrated spices, vegetables etc. Dehydrating is a great way to preserve spices! Last year we demonstrated and there was lots of interest. This is a great category for a beginner to try! BE SURE TO READ THE PREMIUM BOOK ON THE San Juan County Fair website for the rules about entering dehydrated products in the fair.
- Smoked meats is a new category – check with the premium book on the San Juan County Fair website to find out the rules for entering