Letter from the Superintendent
Posted June 21, 2017 at 5:47 am by Tim Dustrude
Greetings Teachers, Staff, Parents, Students, and Community Members:
On Saturday, June 10, I participated in the graduation ceremony of the Class of 2017. They were rising juniors when I started my position two years ago. The accomplishments of these talented young men and women are obvious and highlighted by the number of scholarships that were distributed by our community organizations. As the superintendent of schools, I am proud of each and every graduate. Congratulations on your success!
I would also like to personally thank the community organizations for their dedication by helping finance our students’ college careers. You are amazing!
The following are just a few of our accomplishments for the 2016–17 school year:
- First year for K‑5 Science specials w/ Sue Kareken
- Art instruction with Leisha for grades K‑5
- The Board adopted the Balanced Literacy curriculum
- Sixth grade will re-join FHMS
- K‑12 Science teachers met to ensure they align instruction with the Next Generation Science Standards
- FHHS completed their accreditation process with flying colors
- Community health committee recommended a health curriculum pilot, which we completed with great success
- Our new websites and ParentLink communication tool are up and running smoothly
- Twenty-one instructional technology courses were offered to our staff
- Fifty-seven staff took five hundred and twenty-four hours of professional development in Instructional Technology
- New School Bus added to the fleet
- Turnbull Gym Remodel
- Regular updates on our Facebook page. (Don’t forget to like it!)
Congratulations to our fifth, sixth and eighth grade students on their transition to middle school and high school, respectively. I know you have a bright future ahead of you!
On June 30, 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm, we will have an Immigration Workshop at Friday Harbor Middle School. The Immigration 101 session includes an overview of the immigration system and immigration status as well as which resources are available in the community. Katie Loring, local attorney, will provide information regarding Durable Power of Attorney documents.
Finally, I would like to thank every student, parent, teacher, staff, and community member for making the 2016–2017 academic year an extraordinary one! I appreciate you and I hope you have a restful and joyful summer!
If you have any questions, you may contact me at 360.370.7905 or email email@example.com. Thank you for your continued support.
Danna Diaz, PhD
You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.