Chamber Awards and Ferry Workers Appreciation Day
The San Juan Island Chamber of Commerce held their annual awards banquet on Monday evening at Brickworks. In addition to the usual awards given out to various island businesses there was also a proclamation given by Mayor Carrie Lacher to the ferry workers for their service to the community. After an especially difficult year with multiple disruptions in ferry service, the Town of Friday Harbor officially recognizes them and proclaims tomorrow, Wednesday December 13th as Friday Harbor Ferry Workers Appreciation Day. Click here to see the official proclamation (PDF)
So when you line up for the ferry or drive past, give them a wave and a thank you, for their hard work in a frequently thankless job.
Mayor Lacher was also awarded the Chamber’s Sam R. Buck Community Spirit award: “in celebration of an individual whose leadership and life-long commitment to the San Juan Island community has made a significant impact on the development of local commerce and enterprise. She personifies the character and pioneer spirit of San Juan Island.”
See photos and a list of all award winners below.
All of these businesses were given the Award of Excellence, which is “in recognition of SJI Chamber businesses that excel in quality of service and/or products, Island Friendly Spirit, practice the highest business ethics and exemplify enlightened customer service and staff relations.”
All photos by Tim Dustrude, San Juan Update. Click any photo to enlarge.
Some businesses were unable to attend and therefore we have no photo, so below is a list of all winners in their categories.
- Accommodations – Lakedale Resort
- Activities – Island Stage Left
- Art – Belle Terre Island Ceramics
- Aviation – Kenmore Air
- Boating – San Juan Safaris
- Community/Community Events – The Whale Museum
- Education – Friday Harbor UW Labs
- Financial Services – Islander’s Bank
- Health & Wellness – San Juan Fitness
- Island Services – Island Air
- Non Profit – Wolf Hollow
- Professional Services – Eagle Home Mortgage
- Restaurant – Coho Restaurant
- Retail (a tie) – Robins Nest and Griffin Bay Books
- Transportation – San Juan Transit
- Utilities – San Juan Wireless