Burn Permits Go On Sale October 1

Posted September 28, 2018 at 6:00 am by

Burn sea­son is right around the cor­ner and the San Juan Coun­ty Fire Marshal’s Office and the San Juan Coun­ty Fire Chiefs Asso­ci­a­tion would like to remind you of a few things to improve the safe­ty of your burn­ing this season.

Burn­ing rules apply to all burns in San Juan Coun­ty and a per­mit is required for all Res­i­den­tial and Com­mer­cial burns.

Res­i­den­tial burn­ing is defined as a per­mit­ted burn pile that is a max­i­mum of 10’ is size. These per­mits are to be issued to res­i­dents in San Juan Coun­ty. Res­i­den­tial burn per­mits are appro­pri­ate for the burn­ing of yard waste and debris from trees and shrubs, prun­ing, and post storm clean up. A res­i­den­tial per­mit is not appro­pri­ate for land clear­ing oper­a­tions where mul­ti­ple stumps will be burned, regard­less of pile size. Res­i­den­tial burn­ing requires a charged hose to be on site with a shov­el and some­one to be present for the dura­tion of the burn until it is dead out. There is no res­i­den­tial burn­ing allowed in Urban Growth Areas of San Juan Coun­ty. Res­i­den­tial per­mits may be pur­chased online or in per­son at the San Juan Coun­ty Depart­ment of Com­mu­ni­ty Devel­op­ment office, or at the main fire sta­tions on Orcas, Lopez, San Juan, and Shaw.

Com­mer­cial burn­ing is defined as burn­ing out­side of the Urban Growth Area and Com­mer­cial per­mits are issued for piles larg­er than 10 feet in size, where con­trac­tors are super­vis­ing burn­ing with machin­ery on site. Types of work that Com­mer­cial per­mits are appro­pri­ate for include land clear­ing and tim­ber har­vest waste. Com­mer­cial burns require an inspec­tion on site by the San Juan Coun­ty Fire Mar­shal or their designee and are not avail­able for pur­chase online. They can be applied for in per­son at the Lopez, Shaw, and Orcas Fire sta­tions. All Com­mer­cial per­mits for San Juan Island will be issued at the Depart­ment of Com­mu­ni­ty Devel­op­ment on Rhone Street. San Juan Fire will no longer issue Com­mer­cial per­mits, but will con­tin­ue to issue Res­i­den­tial permits.

Com­mer­cial Per­mit pro­cess­ing may take up to 7 busi­ness days.

It is worth not­ing that land clear­ing oper­a­tions may be sub­ject to oth­er per­mits by the Wash­ing­ton Depart­ment of Nat­ur­al Resources and it the landowner’s respon­si­bil­i­ty to make sure the work being done is not sub­ject to this requirement.

Camp­fires are defined as two foot by two foot fires do not need a per­mit. Camp­fires are for the burn­ing of fire­wood and not intend­ed for yard waste disposal.

All per­mits issued for burn­ing by San Juan Coun­ty are for nat­ur­al veg­e­ta­tion. The burn­ing of treat­ed or processed wood mate­r­i­al includ­ing con­struc­tion scraps and demo­li­tion scraps are pro­hib­it­ed. Oth­er pro­hib­it­ed mate­ri­als include: garbage, dead ani­mals, asphalt, petro­le­um prod­ucts, paints, rub­ber, plas­tics and paper, oth­er than the small amount of paper nec­es­sary to start a fire. Burn­ing of pro­hib­it­ed mate­ri­als is ille­gal and sub­ject to fines from the Fire Marshal’s Office and the Wash­ing­ton Depart­ment of Ecology.

If you have oth­er ques­tions about burn­ing please see the San Juan Coun­ty Fire Marshal’s Web­site, The Wash­ing­ton Depart­ment of Nat­ur­al Resources Web­site, or email firemarshal@sanjuanco.com





You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.

Categories: Safety

No comments yet. Be the first!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting a comment you grant the San Juan Update a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate, irrelevant and contentious comments may not be published at an admin's discretion. Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared.

Receive new post updates: Entries (RSS)
Receive followup comments updates: RSS 2.0