Preserving Another Piece of Island History
This year has been a year of roof replacements at the San Juan Historical Museum. Recently, the roof of the James King family home was replaced. The prior wood shingle roof had reached the end of its useful life and the time had come to undertake the project which was done by Bobby Ross Construction.
With new cedar shingles in place, it likely looks like it did when Mr. King built the home in 1897. This latest project follows replacement of the Scribner family log cabin roof earlier this year.
Funding for the project was made possible by the sale of a Historic Preservation and Conservation Easement to the San Juan County Land Bank in 2010. Additional funding was made possible by a grant from the Valerie Sivinski Fund from the Washington Trust for Historic Preservation. The Valerie Sivinski Fund is a program that awards grants to grassroots historic preservation projects across the state.
This latest project caps a series of restoration projects performed on the home, one of the eight heritage structures on the Historical Museum campus.
A new foundation was installed in 2009, the exterior was painted in 2010 and extensive interior work was done in 2011 and 2012, repairing damage from structural issues caused by the failed original foundation.