Posted January 1, 2022 at 4:31 am by

Enjoy­ing some hot cocoa and solid­i­fy­ing big plans at South Beach on Christ­mas Day right before the snow flew — Shan­non Dean photo

A note to you from Tim Dus­trude, edi­tor of the San Juan Update…

As many of you may know, my pas­sion in the past cou­ple of years has been trav­el­ing with my wife Shan­non in our camper van and see­ing our beau­ti­ful coun­try. We have been many places so far, from west coast to east coast and from north to south. We’ve made new friends in red states, blue states and oth­er states in between. We’re lov­ing it and we want to con­tin­ue because there is so much more to see. (click here to see where we’ve been).

We start­ed this jour­ney just over two years ago, and I’ve been able to keep the San Juan Update run­ning dur­ing this time, how­ev­er it has been either extreme­ly chal­leng­ing when I looked after it myself entire­ly, or not cost-effec­tive when I’ve hired peo­ple to help me.

So I have made the very dif­fi­cult deci­sion to dis­con­tin­ue the dai­ly pub­lish­ing of the San Juan Island Update.

To you the faith­ful Update read­er — I want to thank you for your enthu­si­asm and encour­age­ment. It feels so good to see you around town and hear you say how much you love the Update.

To you the adver­tis­er — I want to thank you very much for your sup­port — there is no way the Update could have remained viable in its cur­rent state with­out adver­tis­ers like you, and I real­ly appre­ci­ate your faith in me to pro­mote your busi­ness while help­ing to keep the island com­mu­ni­ty aware of things going on around this beau­ti­ful island.

To all you con­trib­u­tors — Thanks for shar­ing your news and announce­ments, enabling me to pro­vide a venue to ampli­fy your mes­sage to share with your fel­low islanders.

But it is time for me to move on, so begin­ning on Jan­u­ary 1, 2022 — I will no longer be pub­lish­ing new dai­ly con­tent. How­ev­er, the Update isn’t going any­where yet — it will remain online as a sort of archive at least for the fore­see­able future. And I’m sure I will add things from time to time, espe­cial­ly crit­i­cal­ly impor­tant announce­ments to the com­mu­ni­ty or things that I believe are espe­cial­ly of inter­est for what­ev­er reason.

I real­ly hate to think of it going away per­ma­nent­ly so it is my hope that I can find some­one to take over the reins.

To that end, I will be enter­tain­ing offers from peo­ple inter­est­ed in buy­ing the Update and keep­ing it going — if you are inter­est­ed or if you know of some­one who would like a “turn-key” busi­ness, I would love to hear from you. I real­ly do believe it could be a won­der­ful oppor­tu­ni­ty for someone.

But for now, I will close, and say once again, thank you so much San Juan Island for all of your sup­port over the past nine years!

You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.

17 comments...

1. Thank you Tim for build­ing a very cred­i­ble and per­ti­nent source for local news and issues. I am sor­ry to see that you are mov­ing on but think that you guys are onto some­thing good with Van trav­els. Life is short.
    I espe­cial­ly appre­ci­ate your will­ing­ness to allow me a lit­tle soap­box on so many occa­sions and to sup­port my Freez­er Burned col­umn over the last 20 months.

Best to you and Shannon

Comment by Steve Ulvi on January 1, 2022 at 8:30 am
  2. When my hus­band and I first moved here, an ini­tial piece of advice (and what turned out to be excel­lent) was from a friend who said that “Update” was THE place to go for news around and of SJI. Not dire news, not gos­sip inflat­ed for sen­sa­tion, not unsub­stan­ti­at­ed rumors, but decent, per­ti­nent infor­ma­tion. I have fol­lowed “Update” just about every day since even when we’ve been on extend­ed road trips or cruis­es. Thank you, Tim and Shan­non, for this superb jour­nal­ism, unique to the world of print­ed mate­r­i­al, for being an inte­gral and impor­tant aspect to our lives here on the island.

Comment by Gay Graham on January 1, 2022 at 10:24 am
  3. Thank you Tim for all of your good work. Best wish­es for your trav­els and come home someday!

Comment by Marilyn O'Connor on January 2, 2022 at 8:56 am
  4. Your gain , our loss. Thank You, I real­ly appre­ci­ate San Juan Update

Comment by Jane A Burton-Bell on January 2, 2022 at 11:57 am
  5. I read san­juanup­date every sin­gle day I’m able to…even trav­el­ing! It’s my “island good news” go-to. Thanks for all the good news through the years!

Comment by Margaret Bell on January 2, 2022 at 12:28 pm
  6. Tim & Shan­non, we’ll miss you! Have a won­der­ful time out there in the world. We’ll keep a can­dle in the win­dow for you.

Comment by Victoria Compton on January 2, 2022 at 1:04 pm
  7. I will miss the dai­ly quotes and info, but glad you and Shan­non are liv­ing your dreams, espe­cial­ly after all you’ve been through.

Comment by Caroline Armon on January 2, 2022 at 1:15 pm
  8. Thank you Tim. Hap­py travels!

Comment by Shelley Alan on January 2, 2022 at 1:42 pm
  9. Thanks for all that you guys did. Will real­ly miss this resource. I hope your adven­tures are amaz­ing and may 2022 be your best year yet.

Comment by William F House MD on January 2, 2022 at 6:26 pm
  10. Oh Tim and Shannon,
    you will be dear­ly missed around town, but the UPDATE! Once the Island Record years ago held the spot for local human inter­est news; I always felt Ian filled that spot. You were wise and gen­er­ous to under­take SUCH a time con­sum­ing ven­ture and you upgrad­ed it with your fab­u­lous pic­tures, sto­ries and the local plat­form it has been.
    I can only say hooray also for you both, you are in love, can make a liv­ing on the go, have had the adven­tures few have courage or abil­i­ty to do as you have done. I too have read Update dai­ly since its incep­tion, and always look for­ward, but also looked at your trav­el blog and will con­tin­ue. Very excit­ed you are liv­ing life, in this weird alter­nate uni­verse, cre­at­ing your own fun and joy; be safe and con­tin­ue the adven­ture! Thanks for com­ing back and check­ing in this winter!

Comment by Pam C Fry on January 3, 2022 at 9:08 am
  11. The Update is my go to news site. Thank you for your fine jour­nal­ism over the years.Your will­ing­ness to cel­e­brate poet­ry month with my poems and oth­er island poets was a wel­come arts feature.

Comment by Sherry Bell on January 3, 2022 at 9:49 am
  12. Thank you Tim for all these years of sup­port­ing the island com­mu­ni­ty with the Update! I’ve fol­lowed the Update since the begin­ning even when I was liv­ing and work­ing in Europe. I wish you and Shan­non all the best in your trav­el adven­tures. Stay safe and take care!

Comment by Darcie Nielsen on January 3, 2022 at 10:03 am
  13. Tim, you are a rock star! Thank you for pro­vid­ing this valu­able ser­vice to the com­mu­ni­ty. Your sup­port for the many years of the month­ly His­to­ry Columns was so appre­ci­at­ed. Now, go seize the day! You and Shan­non deserve a break.

Comment by Shaun Hubbard on January 4, 2022 at 2:24 pm
  14. Thank you for such a great ser­vice all these years. You deserve an open end­ed vaca­tion! Hap­py Trails to you!

Comment by Jeanine on January 10, 2022 at 7:01 am
  15. Tim,
    Many thanks for keep­ing me in touch with my orig­i­nal home­town. Safe, and wide rang­ing, trav­els to you and Shannon.

Comment by Dave Weed on January 12, 2022 at 10:16 pm
  16. Odd­ly, I keep open­ing the Update as I have every morn­ing for so long, some­how think­ing that it will be refresh­ing­ly alive again. No luck so far but I prob­a­bly will con­tin­ue to do so for some time. The Islander and Jour­nal are OK but…

Steve Ulvi

Comment by Steve Ulvi on January 13, 2022 at 12:46 pm
  17. I have to add a dit­to to Steve’s com­ment re. check­ing out “Update” every morning…yes, per­haps a futile habit but I remain hopeful.
    (I also can now do a spelling correction…“superb” rather than “sub­urb.”)

Comment by Gay Graham on January 14, 2022 at 8:53 am