Freezer Burned: Tales of Interior Alaska

Posted May 25, 2022 at 6:01 pm by

Freez­er Burned is an ongo­ing series for the San Juan Update, writ­ten by Steve Ulvi. Read the pre­vi­ous sto­ry in this series.

A Yukon Riv­er Maverick

(This sto­ry is cre­ative non-fic­tion; respect­ful­ly embell­ished where fact and anec­dote blur, an informed yet spec­u­la­tive tale. No one knows just what hap­pened dur­ing the last days and hours of the active, inten­tion­al life of Richard O. Cook. He was a mav­er­ick, seam­less­ly at home on the low­er Taton­duk Riv­er, and a friend. He was mas­ter­ful­ly depict­ed as an Alas­ka bush-dwelling char­ac­ter in the 1977 clas­sic, Com­ing into the Coun­try by John McPhee).

Stooped some, slight of frame with cord­ed mus­cles, Dick Cook hard­ly appeared to be 70 years along the path of life. His thin­ning dark curly hair bloomed at the edge of his sweat­shirt hood; eyes steady, wheels turn­ing in his head as always. Cook sipped black tea from a tan­nin-shel­lacked cup near the river’s ris­ing edge. Unsur­pris­ing­ly, his teeth also showed his love of strong tea. Brush­ing away hov­er­ing mos­qui­tos, star­ing upriv­er, he pushed his hood back to bet­ter assess the clear­ing sky; his untamed beard and hair looked to be trimmed by a sharp knife, his worn clothes and a hood­ed sweat­shirt always the same.

Cook’s unre­mark­able log shack tucked on a small forest­ed island at Pass Creek, piled with decades of stuff, had burned and col­lapsed a cou­ple of years back.  A stone’s throw behind where Cook stood, close to the charred pile was his mold-freck­led wall tent, ele­vat­ed cache and strewn camp. A year before, he had loaded his old 4x4 truck with build­ing mate­ri­als, put it on a raft in Eagle, guid­ed it 27 miles with his canoe, land­ed at his cab­in and motored up the Taton­duk Riv­er grav­el bars (in vio­la­tion of many laws, con­ser­va­tion ethics and com­mon sense) for a cou­ple of miles. It still sat on a high bar 4 miles down; unmov­ing. Cab­in rebuild­ing stalled out. One of his cher­ished sled dogs, inbred for decades in a pride­ful Cookian selec­tion process, roamed and barked at red squir­rels who chat­tered teas­ing­ly in the grey-green spruce canopy.

The weeks around sum­mer sol­stice are often a marathon of labor and re-cre­ation for bush-dwellers. It is an intense peri­od of riotous light when clocks lose mean­ing. This day, the front peaks up the Taton­duk Riv­er (thought to mean “Riv­er of Bro­ken Rocks” in Han Atha­paskan) were obscured in cloy­ing clouds. Upper drainage rain had swelled the riv­er; flood­ing braid­ed bars of larg­er cob­ble that nor­mal­ly shoul­dered the flow with­in the main chan­nels in a read­able way. At a pace that a capa­ble river­man could handle. 

Cook knew this stretch of mod­est riv­er flow­ing from an impas­si­ble slot canyon up in Cana­da; like­ly bet­ter than any­one with white skin ever had, after hun­dreds of canoe trips up and down. But at high­wa­ter, widen­ing chutes gain veloc­i­ty and build hydraulic ener­gy that tum­bles mel­on cob­ble beneath the sur­face cre­at­ing a muf­fled knock­ing. Inun­dat­ed wil­low bars were being scoured while leafy flex­i­ble stems bent down­stream. Log­jams deposit­ed in pre­vi­ous floods strained the rac­ing current.

At that moment, nego­ti­at­ing the half-dozen snaking miles to the Yukon and his sum­mer cab­in was chancy.  His lay­ing hens, feed grain as well as bags of dried fish, chains, water bowls, assort­ed gear and mail to go to Eagle, would be lashed low in his dent­ed 19-foot Grum­man square stern canoe. His few dogs would eager­ly run along the forest­ed bank trail; they often did. It may have seemed absurd, even defeatist, to con­sid­er labor­ing in repeat­ed for­est trail trips, haul­ing every­thing plus drag­ging the canoe, rather than make the run.

By June Cook was usu­al­ly at his low­er cab­in. Sure­ly it was an invig­o­rat­ing change to be encamped in the heart of the big river­ine land­scape; revolv­ing slant­ed light, advanc­ing and reced­ing shad­ows cre­at­ing a chang­ing panora­ma across the green hills. The Big Riv­er; the region­al thor­ough­fare, had gone qui­et. Count­less vil­lage sites estab­lished over the many thou­sands of years of occu­pa­tion and use by Han Atha­paskan peo­ple had been flood­ed, over­grown and ren­dered near­ly invis­i­ble. Molder­ing, gol­drush-spawned his­toric sites were ghost­ing every­where. In ear­ly sum­mer the watery cor­ri­dor promised the arrival of large fat-laden king salmon, res­i­dent fish, ducks, beavers and black bears for dog and man food.

Parts of his slump­ing his­toric cab­in roof were rot­ting, slough­ing and leak­ing more with each pass­ing year. Cook saw no good rea­son for doing the hard work that would just make it more attrac­tive for folks to stop in and use the place. He gen­er­al­ly shunned work. In fact, dur­ing the win­ter he some­times removed the stove pipe in vio­la­tion of the respect­ed north coun­try rule of leav­ing a cab­in ready for needy trav­el­ers; that is down­right cranky and unneigh­bor­ly. Beside this cab­in was his pre­cious gar­den, nour­ished by years of buried fish offal.  A cou­ple gan­g­ly fruit trees that he claimed was a “hor­ti­cul­tur­al exper­i­ment” nev­er matured edi­ble fruit.  Tools, fish­ing nets and col­lect­ed usable riv­er flot­sam stood ready in disarray.

Watch­ing a cir­cling bald eagle, spit­ting shreds of tea leaves, his mind would wan­der ahead; he need­ed to check his young gar­den, gath­er stuff, pick up some fresh­er gaso­line and head up the tawny Yukon. He would motor slack­ened water along the shore­lines and inside sloughs to make 3 or 4 miles per hour, dogs run­ning free. He would have to cross the half-mile wide Yukon twice; load­ing the dogs, los­ing some progress each time. A famil­iar enough jour­ney but not so in the busy time of late June. He had arranged to leave his ani­mals, his com­pan­ions, with friends who lived a cou­ple of miles below Eagle while he was off in Fairbanks.

The pre­vi­ous July of 2000, unaware of a last-minute “spe­cial action” that strict­ly lim­it­ed har­vest­ing king salmon to pro­tect the run, he had set a short gill­net in a mar­gin­al, debris swirled eddy he used. It was tout­ed to be one of the worst runs in recent his­to­ry, yet State of Alas­ka fish­ery man­agers had opened sev­er­al com­mer­cial peri­ods on the low­er riv­er while await­ing more test catch data; mean­while severe­ly lim­it­ing sub­sis­tence fish­ing on the entire upper Yukon to a few hours each week. Law enforce­ment offi­cers fly­ing that sec­tion of the riv­er dur­ing a clo­sure had spot­ted his arc of corks, land­ed the float plane, pulled his net onto the bank and left him a note about the clo­sure. Incensed, Cook had reset the piled net (that might snag one or two salmon a day) and a few days lat­er the net was con­fis­cat­ed and he was cited.

He seethed with right­eous indig­na­tion and soon made an unusu­al trip to Eagle to call the fed­er­al office list­ed. Informed that it was a $400 fine Cook decid­ed to make a stand to force the fed­er­al side of the fish­eries co-man­age­ment struc­ture to over­ride the State of Alas­ka and meet its own oblig­a­tions to pro­vide for a “sub­sis­tence pri­or­i­ty” based upon tra­di­tion­al and cus­tom­ary use on fed­er­al pub­lic lands when fish­eries had to be restrict­ed. He called Alas­ka Legal Ser­vices for pro bono help.  Attor­neys sought imme­di­ate rem­e­dy by con­tact­ing fed­er­al offi­cials to explain Cook’s lifestyle and utter depen­dence on king salmon. Unsuc­cess­ful, and learn­ing that the impend­ing fall chum salmon run would also be severe­ly restrict­ed, cre­at­ing seri­ous prob­lems for peo­ple who need­ed to feed work­ing sled dogs, he and his lawyers drew up a law­suit and filed it in Dis­trict Court. That piv­otal court date was just days away in late June of 2001.

Cook had no means of com­mu­ni­ca­tion oth­er than to trek to Eagle. His mind was roil­ing like the riv­er at his feet.  After occu­py­ing this place for 30 some years, it might seem that excep­tion­al skills, keen sit­u­a­tion­al aware­ness and count­less predica­ments resolved could cre­ate a form of immu­ni­ty; like a slick shuf­fle of “your card” back deep into the deck of poten­tial tragedy.  In order to live in the woods, far beyond the end of the road with­out coun­cil of a com­pan­ion, an indi­vid­ual must make com­mit­ted deci­sions. For some hardy souls who pre­ferred soli­tude, hav­ing no safe­ty net at all must be invigorating.

Emerg­ing from boy­hood in Ohio, Cook had joined the Marine Corps and was osten­si­bly bust­ed to pri­vate – not once, but twice — after punch­ing supe­ri­or offi­cers. But he was hon­or­ably dis­charged and col­lect­ed a small month­ly dis­abil­i­ty check for being wound­ed in Korea. He was said to have wed a mod­el, had two daugh­ters, under­gone a dis­agree­able divorce, mar­ried again, stud­ied at the Col­orado School of Mines (where on week­ends he employed dyna­mite to expose geo-crys­tals to sell), tried real estate sales, a stint in a huge Ari­zona cop­per mine and who knows what else.  Some­where along the way, prob­a­bly in late youth, he became a dis­ci­ple of “Ness­muk”, George Wash­ing­ton Sears, the canoe trip­per author of the icon­ic Wood­craft and Camp­ing first pub­lished in 1884.

Cook found his way to the Eagle area in 1964 with his sec­ond wife, Ann. He was said to do some wan­der­ing, a bit of remote min­er­al prospect­ing, and lat­er may have killed wild game for black mar­ket sale in Eagle and Eagle Vil­lage. Both spous­es may have served stints as may­or in the qui­et river­bank town. He accom­pa­nied Ann (who attend­ed the Uni­ver­si­ty of Alas­ka – Fair­banks in 1967), lived in a tiny trail­er on the out­skirts of old Fair­banks for a cou­ple of ensu­ing win­ters endur­ing reg­u­lar cold snaps in the minus 50s F.  Cook may have worked con­struc­tion to pay bills.  For rea­sons unknown he and Ann split ami­ca­bly. He was said to pre­fer aim­ing to “become a bum”; not a lay around soci­etal dropout, but an accom­plished Alas­ka woods­man with few mon­e­tary needs.

Liv­ing out on the Taton­duk Riv­er by 1970, Cook could not have fore­seen that the unbound­ed fron­tier of Old Alas­ka was begin­ning a stun­ning meta­mor­pho­sis. Loom­ing Con­gres­sion­al leg­is­la­tion would final­ly set­tle Alas­ka Native land claims but also open a Pandora’s Box by call­ing for estab­lish­ing huge parks and wildlife refuges in the “nation­al inter­est”; all in order to estab­lish a nar­row, con­tigu­ous cor­ri­dor of land upon which to build an 800-mile oil pipeline from the North Slope to a huge spig­ot at the ice-free Port of Valdez. State of Alas­ka land selec­tions of 103 mil­lion acres, unhur­ried since state­hood in 1959 (politi­cians were wise­ly await­ing more detailed min­er­al­iza­tion map­ping), were rushed into the explo­sive socio-polit­i­cal par­ti­tion­ing that was to lit­er­al­ly divide Alas­ka and con­strain rur­al and urban hunters dif­fer­ent­ly, caus­ing last­ing rancor.

In the late 1960s the polit­i­cal spec­u­la­tion must have seemed far away and insignif­i­cant along the riv­er that had gone lone­some once again; first after the 1898 Klondike Gold Rush surged into Alas­ka (Eagle swelled to near­ly 3,000) and flowed on west­ward near­ly as rapid­ly; fol­low­ing the abrupt decline of mil­i­tary spend­ing after WWII; then the end of the wood-hun­gry stern­wheel­er era in the mid-1950s. Air­planes and a rough sum­mer road into the shriv­eled-up out­post of 50 souls was the future.

Nature was rewil­d­ing the aban­doned sites of super­fi­cial human devel­op­ment and increas­ing wildlife pop­u­la­tions again. Cook would enjoy the poi­son fruits born of decades of fed­er­al wildlife con­trol agents fly­ing around set­ting out dead­ly strych­nine to col­lect a boun­ty on wolves. In addi­tion, there were fur trap­pers, aer­i­al wolf hunters, and locals thump­ing wolf pups at their dens. Black and brown bears were often shot on sight. The moose pop­u­la­tion (and like­ly the Dall Sheep vis­i­ble on the cliffs and high mead­ows of his alpine “back­yard”) had grown to pro­vide ready meat. Furbear­er pop­u­la­tions rebound­ed. The salmon runs had been heav­i­ly com­mer­cial­ly har­vest­ed for many decades but that effort had shrunk.

Of course, there remained fron­tier con­flicts and dis­putes on gold claims and else­where out on the immense riv­er. Cook was an icon­o­clast, high­ly opin­ion­at­ed but seem­ing­ly not affil­i­at­ed or antag­o­nis­tic social­ly, low key and liked by most folks in the vil­lage and town. He may have been of a lib­er­tar­i­an lean­ing. He obvi­ous­ly savored a good deal of soli­tude. A cou­ple of women; one dur­ing the mid-1970s who want­ed to learn tra­di­tion­al ways of tan­ning hides and sewing gar­ments, the oth­er the moth­er of a young man who was briefly men­tored by Cook; lived with him but soon left cer­tain that he “pre­ferred to live alone”. He owned a lit­tle wedge of prop­er­ty up the hill where the high­way dropped into Eagle, where he kept his sham­bles of a trail­er and tarped col­lect­ed stuff that could be of poten­tial use. He spent lit­tle time there.

Among a trick­ling stream of immi­grants to the end of the road at Eagle in the late 1970s was an easy-going farmer, hunter and gun­smith who moved his fam­i­ly into Eagle from the out­skirts of Fair­banks. He flew a scrap­py Piper Super Cub and looked to catch some fur to make ends meet. Being of a Bap­tist strain the fam­i­ly didn’t mix on Sun­days with the influ­en­tial Bible Chapel crowd but seemed to get on with just about every­one. Trap­ping areas near town were always staunch­ly claimed, but a short take­off and land­ing air­craft skill­ful­ly pilot­ed on skis could get into a lot of places in order to set short traplines in the vast land­scape well away from town and the native village.

Some of Cook’s fur trap­ping area, not worked every win­ter so that it could rest, was now with­in the Nation­al Pre­serve on the flats across the Yukon and to the west. After see­ing the low fly­ing, iden­ti­fi­able plane and hear­ing take-offs that raised his hack­les and ire, Cook would have run the dogs the few miles, may have fired a few off­hand rifle shots, then found the plane’s ski tracks. New snow­shoe trails led to sets and steel traps to con­fis­cate.  It was rumored that Cook may have strung light steel cable a few inch­es off the snow at the land­ing spot but if he did, he nev­er had the venge­ful sat­is­fac­tion of find­ing a flipped air­plane and strand­ed pilot. Tak­ing a more pos­i­tive tact, he and a Alas­ka Legal Ser­vices lawyer start­ed to pre­pare a law­suit claim­ing that his sub­sis­tence trap­ping, ongo­ing for decades, was not being pro­tect­ed by the Park Service.

Cook, like most local res­i­dents, was not a sup­port­er of the con­tro­ver­sial new Yukon-Charley Rivers Nation­al Pre­serve, set in Con­gres­sion­al con­crete in 1980. He dis­trust­ed the Nation­al Park Ser­vice itself; but was not a reac­tionary, con­spir­a­to­r­i­al, unin­formed zealot like many locals. He was well set­tled. He was bet­ter informed than most; he rec­og­nized dis­tinct per­son­al advan­tages. His cab­ins were not on pub­lic land so he had no wor­ries with restric­tive cab­in reg­u­la­tions loom­ing. He read and reread the enabling leg­is­la­tion, new reg­u­la­tions and poli­cies as they evolved, and was well aware of the tri­als and tribu­la­tions of oth­ers who were in “tres­pass cab­ins” and unsure of the future under the bale­ful glare of the fed­er­al gov­ern­ment. Cook shared his strong opin­ions with any­one who would listen.

After a day or two of waver­ing Cook may have come to his fate­ful deci­sion in the wee hours, after a rest­less dusky night as the upriv­er clouds dis­si­pat­ed and skies cleared on the Taton­duk.  His mark­ers of the water lev­el, larg­er rocks on the grav­el bar upon which he stood, were once again exposed. The noisy waters and his con­flict­ed mind were eas­ing. It was time to load the canoe and have a go.

By the time he dragged his canoe to the reced­ing water’s edge and mount­ed the 6- horse out­board he sure­ly felt ener­vat­ed again. The uncer­tain­ty was evap­o­rat­ing and he knew that he could make the mail plane in Eagle next day.  Loaded, he pushed out, bow upstream as usu­al to let the faster cur­rent swing it down­riv­er. The over­head sun bathed every­thing in an ethe­re­al light. His dogs ran to swim the nar­row back chan­nel below the cab­in to take the trail on high­er ground as he hollered encour­age­ment and set­tled into the rear seat, throt­tling up for maneu­ver­abil­i­ty. The load looked good and his lay­ing hens clucked wide-eyed in 5‑gallon plas­tic buck­ets with breath­ing holes. Cook must have been intense­ly focused, but prob­a­bly smil­ing for the first time in days.

He steered well away from trou­ble through the first bends and relaxed a bit. He glimpsed his excit­ed huskies at the top of the conifer clad bank once or twice. A few sec­onds lat­er the aged motor may have mis­fired and sput­tered. He would have revved the throt­tle, quick­ly feath­ered the choke, but the motor fell silent. There was no time to squeeze the gas bulb or turn around to pull the starter cord. Grab­bing his pad­dle he urgent­ly pow­er-stroked fight­ing against his own weight in the stern and the dead prop act­ing like an immov­able rud­der want­i­ng to swing downriver.

Quick­ly, the long canoe wal­lowed broad­side, then plowed stern-first into a spruce sweep­er, over­turn­ing in slow motion. He dove out on the cur­rent side and swam grip­ping the floun­dered canoe until the back eddy below sucked him in. Curs­ing in sheer relief and frus­tra­tion, suck­ing bleed­ing bro­ken fin­ger­nails, drip­ping and ener­gized by the adren­a­line dump, he worked quick­ly to unstrap the hens. To his relief they were wet but very alive. He found the bail can and fever­ish­ly scooped water after pulling out his rifle and bagged gear.

He would have strug­gled to pull the canoe from the riv­er, then wad­ed to detach the motor, work­ing to dump the remain­ing water to drag it high­er. Hard­ly paus­ing, Cook strode clum­si­ly, breath­ing hard, putting one foot in front of the oth­er to shoul­der through the alders, rifle in hand. He gath­ered his dogs and wits to gain the trail lead­ing a half mile back to the warm embrace of his tent.

Adren­a­lin-shot and weary, Cook must have stoked the embers in the wood­stove, draped his clothes, dried off and like­ly set­tled into his mum­my bag to sleep hard. The dogs could range out­side. Before noon he woke abrupt­ly in a swel­ter­ing wall tent.  Sit­ting up stiffly, he con­sid­ered the near deba­cle. He pushed open the can­vas flaps to see the dogs lolling near­by in the shade. Final­ly, the damned riv­er was drop­ping noticeably.

Snack­ing on his favored pinole he rein­hab­it­ed his dry clothes and slurped anoth­er cup of tea. This wasn’t his first canoe swamp­ing on his riv­er; there were many over the years, espe­cial­ly in ascend­ing fast, shal­low rif­fles. Cook was keen­ly aware that he real­ly had to be on it to pad­dle the wide, keeled canoe in rush­ing water.  As he picked up a few last things he unchar­ac­ter­is­ti­cal­ly dat­ed and pen­ciled a note “dumped the canoe in high water” or some such, and left it on his table.

Cook knew that the tools, extra parts and bet­ter gas at the low­er cab­in were his best hope to revive the out­board. Lin­ing the canoe all the way to Eagle with dogs would be a pro­tract­ed affair. Frus­trat­ed, but reju­ve­nat­ed, he laid the old motor in the bot­tom near the front thwart, again loaded the fed hens and tied every­thing in. He had lost a pad­dle but still had his favorite big blade. With mut­tered rev­er­ence to “Mom­ma”, he would push out kneel­ing mid-ships to have the most lever­age and sta­bil­i­ty. With skilled feath­ered strokes, deft­ly switch­ing sides with tim­ing and strength, he man­aged to keep the bow straight down the rolling tongues of the main chan­nel drops.

A day lat­er, after Cook failed to arrive, his wor­ried friends motored the few miles up to Eagle to report him over­due and con­vince the Park Ser­vice to ini­ti­ate a search by air. The trou­bling news spread quick­ly in town and fool­ish con­spir­a­cy talk sprout­ed like mush­rooms after a rain. The neigh­bors soon head­ed back down­riv­er accom­pa­nied by a cou­ple boat­loads of would-be res­cuers. Among them were some ne’er-do-wells who rarely ven­tured out of town, but strode the dusty streets pack­ing hog-leg revolvers and bowie knives to pick up mail. Some talked up the notion that the State of Alas­ka “must have done him”. As the small flotil­la land­ed below the Tatonduk’s mouth, Cook’s dogs greet­ed them at the low­er cab­in. They were whiny, agi­tat­ed and hun­gry. There was no recent sign of Cook, nor a note.

The mot­ley searchers sure­ly hollered in vain hope as some made their way up the unfa­mil­iar bank while oth­ers in hip waders ven­tured up dry­ing, mud­dy grav­el bars. A cou­ple of buck­ets and a pad­dle were seen, then the sub­merged canoe at a log jam as the NPS con­tract heli­copter flew low and slow up to Pass Creek island to land. A ranger found only the curi­ous note in the tent. Even­tu­al­ly the water cleared and dropped and a life­less body was seen and retrieved from beneath the jam. Cook was imme­di­ate­ly iden­ti­fied by his skull and dag­ger Marine Corps tattoo.

Lat­er, fol­low­ing the well-attend­ed memo­r­i­al ser­vice in Eagle, his two adult daugh­ters (whom he had not seen or con­tact­ed for decades) want­ed to see the Taton­duk and Pass Creek where they planned to spread their father’s ash­es. The upriv­er neigh­bors, lack­ing the right water craft and white­wa­ter skills but embold­ened to please the sis­ters, agreed to try to take them up to Pass Creek. In a fit­ting finale in the col­or­ful saga of a Yukon Riv­er mav­er­ick, they cap­sized part way up, occu­pants splut­ter­ing and grab­bing loose gear, wad­ing to gain oppo­site banks. They were soaked and hol­ler­ing to one anoth­er, but unhurt. The small box con­tain­ing the cre­mat­ed remains of Dick Cook; a man with a clear, uncon­flict­ed sense of self, who pre­ferred paths less-trod­den and being alone on his riv­er, had float­ed away.

You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.

Categories: Freezer Burned

No comments yet. Be the first!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting a comment you grant the San Juan Update a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate, irrelevant and contentious comments may not be published at an admin's discretion. Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared.

Receive new post updates: Entries (RSS)
Receive followup comments updates: RSS 2.0