Island Senior: County Fair week offers opportunities to support Meals on Wheels
Posted August 16, 2022 at 1:55 pm by Peggy Sue McRae
Summer is winding down and the San Juan County Fair comes along just in time to offer islanders a chance to show off their finest produce, baked or canned goods, quilts, baby pigs, and supercharged zucchinis.
Beyond that, thanks to the San Juan Island Community Foundation, Fair week also offers a variety of ways to raise funds for local programs. The Mullis Center is participating in this campaign to raise funds for the ever more crucial senior nutrition program, Meals on Wheels.
The Community Foundation will generously match the first $1,000 in donations raised by local programs. Plus, the Mullis Center will then be eligible for up to $2500 in bonus grants awarded throughout Fair week. Here is how the week breaks down.
- Wednesday, Aug. 17: A $500 bonus grant will go to the nonprofit receiving the highest total donation value.
- Thursday, Aug. 18: A $500 bonus grant will go to the nonprofit receiving the highest number of unique donations.
- Friday, Aug. 19: SJICF will post an obscure San Juan Island trivia question on Facebook. Anyone can email the answer to firstname.lastname@example.org. The correct answers given on this day will be entered in a drawing.
- Saturday, Aug. 20: The trivia drawing winner picks their favorite participating nonprofit to receive a $500 bonus grant.
- Monday, Aug. 22: All donors from throughout the Fair will be entered in the final drawing. The winner gets to choose which participating nonprofit will receive a $1,000 bonus grant.
You can donate in person at the SJI Community Foundation fair booth, on the SJICF website, by phone to the SJICF at 360–378-1001, or by mailing a check payable to the SJICF (dated between Aug 17–20) with Mullis Center Senior Nutrition in the memo line to the Community Foundation, P.O. Box 1352, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. The Community Foundation will grant the raised funds to the Mullis Center following the County Fair.
Have a great time at the fair! Enjoy the horses, T‑shirts, and PTO Pie. Visit the baby lambs and the quilt barn but don’t forget now is the time to make your generous contributions double in value.
You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.
Categories: Island Senior
Receive followup comments updates: RSS 2.0
No comments yet. Be the first!
By submitting a comment you grant the San Juan Update a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate, irrelevant and contentious comments may not be published at an admin's discretion. Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared.