Topic: Community

Island Senior: Shop Local and Save on Holiday Shopping

Written on December 5, 2018 at 5:47 am, by

Island Senior is a regular column on the SJ Update, written by Peggy Sue McRae… I set out this week to do some initial holiday shopping. Thanksgiving is over and I’m ready to decorate. With my dog-eared Island a’ la’ Carte Coupon Book from the Mullis Center I saved 15% at Ace Hardware on a promising  Continue Reading

Compassionate Friends Worldwide Candle Lighting

Written on December 3, 2018 at 4:18 pm, by

The Compassionate Friends Worldwide Candle Lighting to be held Sunday, Dec. 9th, 2018 Oak Brook, IL – The Compassionate Friends Worldwide Candle Lighting, which unites family and friends around the globe in lighting candles for one hour to honor the memories of the sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, and grandchildren who left too soon, is scheduled  Continue Reading

Historic NOEL Sign

Written on December 3, 2018 at 5:47 am, by

This story was shared with the SJ Update by Jim Carroll… The old NOEL sign had its days… in wind, rain, heat, being blown over several times during rooftop storage and it was ready to be replaced, with a fancy new LED NOEL sign being considered, when a very wise suggestion was made by Town  Continue Reading

‘Tis the Season

Written on December 1, 2018 at 6:55 pm, by

The season is upon us. A good crowd showed up for the Island Lights Festival and mother nature smiled upon all. No rain, lots of familiar Christmas songs and good holiday cheer.

Harbor Life Ring

Written on November 29, 2018 at 5:44 am, by

The following is a message from the Town of Friday Harbor… Thank you for your ongoing support of the Harbor Life Ring utilities assistance program. A special line item appears on your monthly utility bill for this purpose. Since the program launched five years ago, your generous donations have afforded relief to dozens of individuals  Continue Reading

Craft and Flea Market

Written on November 28, 2018 at 5:45 am, by

Getting antsy about the Winter Flea & Craft Market at the Fairgrounds? Be sure to mark your calendars for December 1st and buzz over to the Fairgrounds this Saturday from 9am-1pm!  The American Legion Auxiliary will have a booth serving breakfast and lunch from 8:30am to 1:00pm with proceeds going towards their scholarship fund, which  Continue Reading

Annual Lime Kiln Holiday Open House

Written on November 28, 2018 at 5:44 am, by

Come join the fun festivities out at Lime Kiln! Santa photos, treats, tours to the top of the lighthouse and a silent auction too! Sunday, December 9, 2018 from 1:00 to 4:00 PM Hosted by F.O.L.K.S. (Friends Of Lime Kiln Society)

Port Commission Meeting

Written on November 28, 2018 at 5:42 am, by

The Friday Harbor Port district will hold their regular Port Commission Meeting at 271 Front Street (in the Port meeting room, under San Juan Yacht Club), today – Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 4:00 pm. Click here to see the Meeting Agenda (PDF)

Library Holiday Sale

Written on November 24, 2018 at 5:06 pm, by

On December 1st from 10:00 until 4:00 the Friends of the Library is sponsoring a Holiday Sale with all proceeds going to library programming.  Included in the sale are interesting books, unusual gifts and great jewelry.  Also the annual gift basket silent auction will occur.  Baskets to bid on include: cat basket, dog basket, ‘beautiful you’  Continue Reading

Shahn Beats Last Year’s Record

Written on November 22, 2018 at 9:36 am, by

Shopping Spree winner Shahn McGuire again ran for the 28th Annual San Juan Lions Club Shopping Spree on Tuesday. She filled shopping carts with $2007.22 worth of groceries in her 4 minute run and donated all of it to the Food Bank, (minus a couple of chocolate bars). 5 year old Lily Easley once again picked  Continue Reading

Images from Zion

Written on November 21, 2018 at 9:03 am, by

San Juan Island photographer Bob Stavers shares some photos from his recent trip to Utah… I recently spent a week in Zion National Park with a wonderful photographer and teacher, Matt Suess. Here are a few images I am working on from that very productive trip. I hope you enjoy them.  Just click  here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/44888236@N00/albums/72157697726925890

Museum Thanks Town and Mayor

Written on November 20, 2018 at 5:52 am, by

The Board of Trustees and staff of the San Juan Historical Society and Museum would like to extend a sincere thank you to the Town of Friday Harbor Council and Mayor Farhad Ghatan for the new Historical Museum directional sign at the corner of Spring and Price Streets. Even though the museum has been located  Continue Reading

Shopping Spree Winner to be Drawn Saturday

Written on November 17, 2018 at 10:36 am, by

Story submitted by Jim Carroll, Chairman – San Juan Lions Annual Shopping Spree… You have seen the Giant Shopping Cart driving around town for the last 3 weeks and today (Saturday) is the day the winning raffle ticket will be drawn for the winner of the San Juan Lions Club 29th Annual Shopping Spree. The  Continue Reading

Island Senior: Hygge Fridays and This Weekend’s Holiday Fair

Written on November 16, 2018 at 7:33 am, by

Island Senior is a regular column on the San Juan Update written by Peggy Sue McRae… The Mullis Center Annual Holiday Artisan Craft Fair starts this Friday, November 16, from 4 – 7 pm and continues Saturday from 10 am – 4 pm.  I’m participating this year, which means I have a lot of cards  Continue Reading

NHP Visitor Center Public Review and Comment

Written on November 15, 2018 at 5:57 am, by

Environmental Assessment for the American Camp Visitor Center Replacement Project Available for Public Review and Comment The National Park Service is proposing to improve the facilities at the American Camp visitor center site within San Juan Island National Historical Park. The proposed project entails the replacement of the 39 year-old “temporary” visitor center with a  Continue Reading

Library Seeks Owner Representation Services

Written on November 15, 2018 at 5:53 am, by

Request For Qualifications For Owner Representation Services The San Juan Island Library is requesting Statements of Qualifications from interested owner representation firms to represent the Library in the development of a new library building and other improvements to real property at a site to be determined. It is our desire that the firm see this  Continue Reading