San Juan Update undergoes major overhaul.…what do you think?

Posted March 17, 2009 at 2:03 pm by

Hey, my friends.…

As you can see, the Update under­went surgery this past week­end, and got the equiv­a­lent of a jour­nal­is­tic nose job. It’s all real­ly about the same, with a few addi­tions: the Cal­en­dar is eas­i­er to find, the ads are now locat­ed on every page, and it’s pos­si­ble for you to com­ment on the sto­ries that I post.

I also want­ed to make it easy for you to check on things if you miss a day, so I bust­ed the Update into the cat­e­gories above, so you can look “back­wards” to see what I’ve post­ed about sports, or the lat­est pho­tos, and so on. Let’s give it a try & see if that works.

I would love to have you let me know what you think! Click the “com­ment” deal down at the bot­tom of this post­ing, and weigh in!

And…as you can see from the archives (yes, you can go back in time), the Update has under­gone dif­fer­ent for­mat changes in the past twelve years, but we changed, too, did­n’t we?

From The Box­er, by Paul Simon:

The years are rolling by me
They are rock­ing evenly.…
I’m old­er than I once was, but younger than I’ll be
That’s not unusual -
It isn’t strange — after changes upon changes,
We are more or less the same
After changes, we are more or less the same.

Thanks for read­ing. I’m real­ly glad you’re here.

Love ya,
Ian

You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.

44 comments...

1. Groovy baby!

Comment by Rebekah Deitz on March 14, 2009 at 4:44 pm
  2. I feel lost, but it the Update has a more mod­ern touch to it!

Comment by J on March 14, 2009 at 6:39 pm
  3. I think its ok but it seems more like the oth­er sites(sanjuanislander.com and sanjuanjournal.com) and I real­ly liked the old one as it was orig­i­nal and did­nt fol­low suit to the oth­er online sites. All in all its ok

Comment by j on March 14, 2009 at 8:06 pm
  4. You have been busy. Good on you for tak­ing SU to a new lev­el. Any chance you could put back the links to the var­i­ous webcams?

Comment by A on March 15, 2009 at 5:55 am
  5. My good­ness, I’ve been sick­er then I thought. Looks like you are play­ing with the big-boys. Very nice. I miss the homey look but I do like this.

Where will the quotes go?

Comment by Deborah Hagerty on March 15, 2009 at 6:45 am
  6. I love the new look Ian. Congrats.

Comment by Richard Rodriguez on March 15, 2009 at 7:22 am
  7. Ian, I real­ly like the new Update. Looks like lots of thought went into the design…which looks very pro­fes­sion­al while still main­taing the good old Island Charm!!! Real­ly nice work!!!!!!

Comment by Sandy Buckey on March 15, 2009 at 8:19 am
  8. Eewww! I was­n’t ready for this first thing this morn­ing. Jury is out for me.

Comment by Joy on March 15, 2009 at 8:26 am
  9. Ian
    What a surprise…but after a moment or two of get­ting use to the new lay­out, I like it. But the lay­out nev­er mat­ters as much as the con­tent, and the con­tent is always superb. So keep up the good work of keep­ing us updated.
    Bob

Comment by Bob Schwartzberg on March 15, 2009 at 9:39 am
  10. Nope, sor­ry Ian, does­n’t ring my bells. Real­ly liked the “folksy” style of your pre­vi­ous web­site design…this is too much like the oth­er online news­pa­pers. And it’s so WHITE. I don’t want to click thru all those tabs at the top. And I miss the quotes, too. Again, sor­ry. I know it must have been a lot of work to do this redesign

Comment by cc on March 15, 2009 at 10:14 am
  11. Oth­er than the fact the Update had become a warm, friend­ly, and famil­iar spot on the cold super­high­way of infor­ma­tion over­load, this new look has a clean, crisp qual­i­ty about it. As even friends are sub­ject to change over time — aka evolve and grow — so I’ll embrace this “new” Update, and soon it too will become as famil­iar as the “old” one… It does look good, Ian.

Comment by Darren O'Brien on March 15, 2009 at 11:25 am
  12. Hi Ian, nice “Mug” Shot.

Ron

Comment by Ron on March 15, 2009 at 11:39 am
  13. Hi Ian,

Right away I missed the easy for­mat of your oth­er site, and the fer­ry cams, the links to Roche, etc, the quotes, you get the piture. It’s too glitzy for me. Your old site was more user friend­ly. Sorry,

Jeanie

Comment by Jeanie Garrett on March 15, 2009 at 1:09 pm
  14. No! I miss the old one…

Comment by R on March 15, 2009 at 5:22 pm
  15. Your new web­site is great! very pro look­ing and has a def­i­nite flow about it. I like it a lot.

Cheers Frankie

Comment by Frankie on March 15, 2009 at 6:59 pm
  16. We miss the old site!!! Sob sob…

Comment by Old Faithful fans on March 15, 2009 at 7:29 pm
  17. Hi, Ian-
    Nice run­ning into you and Josie this morn­ing. I real­ly like the new for­mat! It’s much eas­i­er to nav­i­gate. Keep up the good work.

Comment by Shannon on March 15, 2009 at 9:05 pm
  18. I like the nose job anal­o­gy. Quite an over­haul, and I sus­pect a lot of work. Looks good!

Comment by Edith on March 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm
  19. Change is good.… I think the for­mat is fine, but the font is hard­er to read on a mon­i­tor. Keep­ing the font you had before may reduce the neg­a­tive input.

Thanks for the update!

Comment by Angela on March 15, 2009 at 10:24 pm
  20. IAN‑I COMMEND YOUR STEP TOWARDS PROGRESS, BUT HONESTLY DON’T THINK IT WAS BROKEN. I MAY JUST BE A SIMPLE PERSON BUT I LOVED THE BIG PICTURES FIRST. THEY DREW ME TO A STORY. THIS FORMAT MAKES ME READ HEADLINES AND I DON’T GO FARTHER. UPDATE GIVES ME A REAL CONTACT WITH REAL PEOPLE AND BYPASSES THE BS (BIAS SITUATION) OF OUR TOWN. IF MY VOTE COUNTS, IAN, I VOTE NO THANKS.

Comment by arnell haws on March 16, 2009 at 4:42 am
  21. I love it Ian!

Comment by Louisa on March 16, 2009 at 7:49 am
  22. Ian, I hate to say it but it seems like the gen­er­al con­sen­sus was that every­body liked the Bying­ton “Web One Point Oh” style that you have become syn­ony­mous with. Change is hard, but it is after­all the only con­stant in life. (I would have run a Beta site and asked every­one’s opin­ion before switch­ing over.) I guess we’ll all get used to it. I will miss the big front­page images; much more inter­est­ing than text! 😛 Best, John S.

Comment by John Sinclair on March 16, 2009 at 7:51 am
  23. Ian: New web­site if very pro­fes­sion­al look­ing. But I miss the homey, friend­ly feel of the old site…felt bet­ter. This feels like a news­pa­per. But if that is your goal, you got it right!

Comment by Lisa on March 16, 2009 at 8:30 am
  24. Eeewww.…I don’t like click­ing on things so I can read the whole arti­cle. I like change, but I don’t like this. It feels like I’m read­ing USA Today.

Comment by Brook on March 16, 2009 at 8:45 am
  25. I think the day-by-day blog for­mat was much more invit­ing and com­fort­able, even though the new for­mat is cer­tain­ly more pro­fes­sion­al. It seems like this is now just like all the oth­er “news” sites, when your old site, and the islands them­selves, are sup­posed to be unique! At the least, you might want to lead off with a nice “pic­ture of the day” at the top to show­case some­thing key going on that day

Comment by Michael on March 16, 2009 at 10:34 am
  26. Ian, your web­site is always a joy. I view it every morn­ing with my cof­fee to look at the good things hap­pen­ing on the island(s). I have to be truth­ful; I don’t like the new for­mat, but I cer­tain­ly appre­ci­ate that you and your team spent many hours to make it “bet­ter.” I will adjust and learn to appre­ci­ate the site for the cre­ative­ness that you and your team bring to its’ devel­op­ment. My obser­va­tion is that it does repli­cate the for­mat of the local on-line news­pa­pers. You can do bet­ter than that.

Comment by toto on March 16, 2009 at 2:09 pm
  27. Hey Ian i real­ly enjoy your site but i real­ly like the feel­ing of the old site it was warm

Comment by Chey on March 16, 2009 at 3:23 pm
  28. Sor­ry Ian I don’t like it at all.

Too cold and gener­ic look­ing for me. The old site had warmth and char­ac­ter, and I do not like hav­ing to click to read the rest of every article.
    Your old nose was just fine, and will be sad­ly missed.

Comment by Malcolm on March 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm
  29. What a dif­fer­ence! It will take some get­ting used to. My two thoughts/comments that come with a first impression:

Way too white!

I don’t like hav­ing to click to get the rest of a sto­ry, espe­cial­ly when it is just a few words or a sen­tence longer. I think me (and many oth­ers) might start just read­ing the head­lines, where­as the oth­er for­mat was con­ducive to read­ing the whole thing.

Comment by Monika Wieland on March 16, 2009 at 11:44 pm
  30. I like it.

Comment by Andrea on March 17, 2009 at 6:45 am
  31. I thought I’d gone to the wrong web­site! 😉 I loved the warm,community feel of the pre­vi­ous for­mat, but, like every­thing else, we’ll adjust to the change and this will become the norm in a cou­ple weeks.
    🙂

Comment by Mary Grove on March 17, 2009 at 7:17 am
  32. …per­haps a cou­ple warm col­ors in the back­ground will warm it up a bit. You used deep yel­lows, greens, and reds in the pre­vi­ous format..that might give the read­ers that don’t like the new ster­ile feel of this one, a bit of fab­ric of the old one to cling to. 🙂

Comment by Mary Grove on March 17, 2009 at 7:26 am
  33. I real­ly like the makeover. Nice work!

Comment by Jack Yelverton on March 17, 2009 at 9:59 am
  34. I need to play around with the new lay­out before I make a deci­sion. Change is always difficult.
    I DO like the pho­tos link ‑any chance you’ll be post­ing the fun ban­ner pic­tures too? I enjoy how you change those up often. It would be great to be able to go back to view them.

Comment by Heather Wong on March 17, 2009 at 1:22 pm
  35. Hey Ian,
    The new web­site looks great.…well done.

Comment by Erin on March 17, 2009 at 3:06 pm
  36. I don’t care what it looks like. You keep the same qual­i­ty con­tent, and I’ll keep reading.

Comment by Heather on March 17, 2009 at 5:18 pm
  37. Sor­ry, but I agree with the poster who said they miss the old for­mat. This looks much more big city, like every oth­er site out there. The old one was more friend­ly, more Islandy, more just like talk­ing with a friend.

I know it prob­a­bly took a lot of work, and I respect that you tried hard, but but some­how is’s no longer my friend Ian, but some­thing much more imper­son­al and urban.

Comment by Christopher on March 18, 2009 at 6:18 pm
  38. Ian, you are a rock­star! I love the new site!

Comment by Carla on March 18, 2009 at 7:08 pm
  39. I stopped read­ing the online Jour­nal and Sounder because it was not user-friend­ly. I liked your site because it was easy and very “home town”. Hav­ing just lost the P.I., I was espe­cial­ly sad to lose the old for­mat. Is it too late to return or re-do?

Comment by P on March 19, 2009 at 9:57 am
  40. hi Ian,

my gut told me I liked the oth­er one bet­ter right away! but i still like you!

Comment by mo on March 19, 2009 at 3:09 pm
  41. Sor­ry, it does­n’t work for me. The sim­plic­i­ty of your pre­vi­ous design is far supe­ri­or. Entire arti­cles, images through­out, fonts, very high usabil­i­ty. It was all right there and could be scanned and absorbed very quick­ly. I’m sure the new design will be eas­i­er to mon­e­tize so I see why you were moti­vat­ed to make the change. Thanks!

Comment by GW on March 19, 2009 at 3:45 pm
  42. Ian,
    Boo Hoo… i will miss the old for­mat. Your old for­mat made me feel like i was check­ing in with an old friend for local news… like a friend­ly phone call to a pal. Do as you please, i will adjust.

Comment by jenny moore on March 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm
  43. Oaky, since we’re not the first to grump, we don’t like the white either, DO NOT like hav­ing to click on the rest of an arti­cle, and well, to be hon­est my first com­ment was that now it looked like all the oth­ers. That said, we won’t stop read­ing you because we real­ly enjoy the Update and will even­tu­al­ly get used to it.

Comment by Margaret and Joel Thorson on March 19, 2009 at 4:37 pm
  44. Hi Ian,

I go away for a cou­ple of weeks and what hap­pens — you update the update. Looks good. Will need to get used to it.

Car­olyn