Moving on, with you in my heart.…

Posted November 30, 2012 at 10:54 am by

Sure gonna miss you guys....

Dear friends & read­ers & Update fans, & fam­i­ly, too.…

You all already know that I sure like new & inter­est­ing things, and it’s come time for me to take on a new chal­lenge. Josie & I have set things up to re-locate to Vic­to­ria at the end of Decem­ber. This sort of thing rais­es sev­er­al questions:

Q. What? You can’t move. You’ve lived here forever!

A. True. Near­ly nine­teen years. As close to for­ev­er as any­one could get.

Q. Where are you gonna live?

A. In a 600 square foot apart­ment a block from an organ­ic gro­cery store, sev­en cof­fee places, a pub, and a huge pub­lic park. Look­ing for­ward to liv­ing even more simply.

Gonna park the car, too.

Q. Are you going to become a Canadian?

A. Cur­rent­ly I have land­ed immi­grant sta­tus, which is kind of like a green card. That’s a good start…I’m glad to be an Amer­i­can, and am glad Cana­da does­n’t mind hav­ing me around, too.

Tim, taking over editorial duties at the Update.... Photo by Shannon Dean

Q. Who is going to look after your business?

A. Like most islanders, I have sev­er­al jobs. Let’s check it out:

I’m sched­uled to teach class­es at Skag­it this win­ter, so I’ll be back for that.

Three years ago, my friend Mary Kate bought the web­page-mak­ing part of my long­time island busi­ness, By Design. Her busi­ness MKate Design is doing great! I still look after the hosting/domain name part of By Design — noth­ing changes there!

I do a lot of con­sult­ing & teaching…that will con­tin­ue both here & in Vic­to­ria. So will my singing & album sales.

Final­ly, I’m glad to report that The San Juan Update will car­ry on. My good friend (and great pho­tog­ra­ph­er & musi­cian) Tim Dus­trude has tak­en over the duties of keep­ing things going — he’s a long­time read­er & con­trib­u­tor who is famil­iar with all the tech & pho­to needs of this online news­pa­per, a good writer, and a true islander (he grew up here!) who loves this place. I could­n’t leave this in bet­ter hands.

Q. Will you be back to vis­it much?

A. Too much of my & Josie’s hearts are here.…you’ll see us around. Vic­to­ria is only sev­en miles away, and I know you’ll be com­ing over to see us & vis­it & talk about every­thing, the way we do.

I’m look­ing for­ward to that.

+++++++++++++

I’ve nev­er been sur­round­ed by so much love. I may be mov­ing, but will car­ry this beau­ti­ful island with me in my heart.…thank you for teach­ing me so much & giv­ing me so much, and being such a won­der­ful place to raise the boys.

Let’s stay in touch.

Love ya,

Ian

ian (at) byd2.com

You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.

22 comments...

1. Boo for you leav­ing, but yay for Tim tak­ing over! We’ll miss you Ian! Vic­to­ria & Lily

Comment by Victoria on November 21, 2012 at 11:18 am
  2. Oh Ian, WOW you are leav­ing the island…what a loss but great addi­tion to Vic­to­ria, eh! Glad to see Update will con­tin­ue with Tim. I am real­ly so thank­ful you were there when I was there! Wish­ing you and Josie all the best!
    Darcie

P.S. I’ll be home (final­ly!) next year, but will locate in Belling­ham to be clos­er to my moth­er and family.

Comment by Darcie on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 am
  3. We’ll miss you for sure, Ian! It just won’t be the same with­out you…still, am hap­py that the update will continue–you built a fan­tas­tic way for the com­mu­ni­ty to keep in touch with each oth­er. Thank you!

Comment by Jan on November 21, 2012 at 11:26 am
  4. Does your lit­tle apart­ment have a guest room? Just warn­ing you — with so many friends here, you may have visitors! 🙂

Comment by Stephanie on November 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm
  5. I’m so glad to hear you and Josie are going to get to be togeth­er, even though it’s over there. Con­grats on your land­ed immi­gra­tion. Vic­to­ria and Van­cou­ver Island are won­der­ful (too). We’ll miss you, eh!
    Gor­don Haverstock

Comment by Gordon Haverstock on November 21, 2012 at 4:34 pm
  6. Ian, you will real­ly be missed. You and Josie are some of my favorite faces around town. I’ve real­ly enjoyed our chats over the past few years. Keep in touch, eh?

Comment by Shannon Evans on November 21, 2012 at 5:16 pm
  7. .….nooooo.…no.….no.…. I miss you already! Thank you, Ian, for enrich­ing our lives and being an inspi­ra­tional teacher. Thank you.

Comment by Tamara on November 21, 2012 at 7:27 pm
  8. You and Josie will be great­ly missed! Our best to you both! — Dave and Dot Vandaveer

Comment by Dot Vandaveer on November 21, 2012 at 7:46 pm
  9. Ian — You have made such a tremen­dous con­tri­bu­tion to this com­mu­ni­ty with your wit­ty com­ments, time­ly pho­tos and news, and upbeat atti­tude. We will miss you every sin­gle day. I wish you the very best in your new life — I know you will flour­ish and suc­ceed wher­ev­er you go!
    Diana

Comment by Diana on November 22, 2012 at 7:07 am
  10. My best to you and Josie! Have always enjoyed the Update. You will def­i­nite­ly be missed. Do take care and vis­it us often, Joan White

Comment by Joan on November 22, 2012 at 7:55 am
  11. Ian, we still can’t believe you and Josie are mov­ing! We will miss you both much! You helped make our tran­si­tion to the island so easy with your friend­ship, help and advise. We will miss your smil­ing faces that always came in for a vis­it at just the right time! We wish you all the best in your new adven­ture and hope to see you when you come back to the island. Tim will do a great job, so you can leave know­ing that The Update is in good hands. Gail and Randy

Comment by Gail & Randy on November 22, 2012 at 10:03 am
  12. I had heard but denied it men­tal­ly; I am real­ly excit­ed for your expan­sion; Cana­da has been my dream too since before I lived here; got way­laid but for a rea­son; to be some­where for the next chap­ter with many excit­ing small city ben­e­fits is great! that is a beau­ti­ful city with just enough nature but also stim­u­la­tion; You will be great­ly missed; I have enjoyed from a dis­tance you thought­ful lis­ten­ing pres­cence you bring to every encounter, and your wis­dom, and philosph­i­cal, intel­li­gent per­spec­tive you share in dis­cus­sions; was look­ing for­ward to more of that; grate­ful the update will con­tin­ue, it is fab­u­lous and much need­ed! bless­ings and enjoy your new life! how excit­ing, Pam fry

Comment by Pam Fry on November 22, 2012 at 10:46 am
  13. “Dit­to” to all the com­ments above. Your gen­tle spir­it and com­mit­ment to the pos­i­tive have made The Update my first stop for local news. I’m so glad Tim has com­mit­ted to keep it going. Many bless­ings to you and Josie in Canada.

Comment by Kristine Brown on November 22, 2012 at 11:51 am
  14. We will all miss you Ian! You bring such a dif­fer­ent approach to the islands way of life in your dai­ly post­ings. You have cer­tain­ly been a huge part of its music his­to­ry as well! I cant imag­ine liv­ing with­out my sig­nif­i­cant oth­er so I am not sur­prised by the move… Vic­to­ria is a real­ly fun place as well… darn near became a cit­i­zen of Cana­da back in the Nam days myself. Dont loose track of all the ones whom love you here. Tim will be a FABULOUS choice to car­ry on the update!Wishing you and yours the very best!

Comment by Tom Henry on November 23, 2012 at 10:28 am
  15. sor­ry to hear u are leav­ing but glad the update will go on. thanks for all the post­ing u have done for me. will miss u

Comment by nancy on November 23, 2012 at 11:47 am
  16. We are very hap­py for you and Josie. You both have been such pos­i­tive ener­gy on this island.We hope that we will see you here and there. All our best! West and Sue Davis

Comment by Sue Davis on November 23, 2012 at 5:46 pm
  17. Ian—You have been a bright light for this com­mu­ni­ty for so many years and you will def­i­nite­ly be missed!!!! At the same time I am hap­py for you to be head­ing off to new adven­tures with Josie. Wher­ev­er you both land, the com­mu­ni­ty is for­tu­nate to have you. I’ll look for­ward to see­ing your smil­ing faces on your trips back to the island. Send­ing hugs along your way, Pamela

Comment by Pamela on November 24, 2012 at 10:23 am
  18. Will miss your spir­it, Ian… good luck on your next adventure.

Comment by tedstrutz on November 25, 2012 at 12:11 pm
  19. Hap­py trav­els Ian!
    Vic­to­ria is such a beau­ti­ful & world class city! Not far away, but a world apart. Just think — no home­sick­ness. My regards to the Queen, and a toast to you at the Ben­gal Lounge!

Comment by Peggy Burton on November 26, 2012 at 7:26 am
  20. Wel­come aboard Ian! Let’s get togeth­er when you ven­ture fur­ther north to Van­cou­ver. It seems like just the oth­er day that your house office was hum­ming with PC’s and web­page build­ing. May the star of daz­zling blue guide your way on, while Tim takes over at the helm. Leigh

Comment by Leigh Freeman on November 26, 2012 at 10:04 pm
  21. Just remember—the fer­ry goes both ways (at least for most of the year!) You have touched many lives with your teach­ing, musi­cal tal­ent and the always inter­est­ing, com­mu­ni­ty cov­er­age of the Update! We wish you and Josie the best of luck as you adjust to life on the oth­er side of the line. Glad you’ve entrust­ed Tim with car­ry­ing on.
    Mitzi and the Bear

Comment by Mitzi Johnson on November 30, 2012 at 12:08 am
  22. Wow — i can’t believe it..
    Every­one is gonna miss you!

I will pray for you guys on your new adventure!

Comment by Claudia on December 9, 2012 at 9:42 am