Town Discontinues Curbside Recycling

Friday Harbor to Discontinue Curbside Co-Mingled Recycling Until Further Notice

The Town of Friday Harbor will be discontinuing curbside recycling pickup effective November 22nd, 2017. This will not affect customers of San Juan Sanitation in the County. The Town uses Lautenbach Industries to take the Town’s refuse to the Cowlitz County landfill and, until recently, transported the Town’s recycled materials to Recology in Seattle. Two weeks ago the Town was notified that Recology was no longer accepting recyclables because China was no longer accepting most U.S. co-mingled materials. China accounted for the purchase of approximately 30% of all domestic recycling.

         The Town and Lautenbach have made a diligent search for another company to take our recycled materials, both in the State of Washington and in Canada. To date they have unable to find a replacement company as the market has tightened with the loss of China as a customer. As a result, the Town will have to discontinue its curb-side co-mingled recycling pick-up service as noted above. The Town will continue to look for a source to accept their materials.

         In the interim, Lautenbach Industries has announced that it will be accepting source separated materials at the Sutton Road refuse facility effective immediately. Residents can drive their recyclable materials to the refuse station and will be charged $3 per can or can equivalent to dispose of the materials. The following separated recycled materials will be accepted:

  • Aluminum cans
  • Tin cans
  • Cardboard
  • Wood
  • Metal
  • Mixed paper

There is currently no established market for glass or plastics, so it will therefore not be accepted until further notice. Lautenbach has informed the town that they are close to an arrangement to take #1 and #2 plastic (Soda and Milk cartons). This situation is evolving quickly and the Town will do what it can to find additional solutions and keep you informed as to the status. If you have questions you may call the Town at 360-378-2810.

Posted on November 10, 2017 at 9:50 am by

Categories: Environment, Government
Comments are closed.

No comments yet. Be the first!

The comments are closed.

Receive new post updates: Entries (RSS)
Receive followup comments updates: RSS 2.0
%d bloggers like this: