Help Needed to Maintain Blood Supply
The next blood drive at the Mullis Center (589 Nash Street in Friday Harbor) is scheduled for Thursday March 19 between 10am and 4pm. Please come and give blood…
An important message from Bloodworks Northwest…
COVID-19 has incited much uncertainty and concern about what is next for our community’s health. While we see the grocery store shelves empty of non-perishables – no water, no toilet paper, no hand sanitizer – we know blood is short-dated; it’s just like the milk on your shelf. And it takes 1,000 people donating every day to ensure Bloodworks has a safe and stable blood supply for all who need it now. We need all healthy people to come in to help reverse a blood shortage, another – avoidable – public health emergency.
Bloodworks is at a tipping point where children and adults experiencing trauma, those going through cancer treatment, and premature babies, among others, will not have blood available. Together, we can rise up to meet this challenge, but we must act now. With your help, we can ensure Bloodworks receives the necessary donations to fully restock its blood supply – pint by pint. Here is what you can do to take action:
- Encourage friends, family and community to donate! Donating blood is a safe activity, donors who are healthy and able are encouraged to come in. Individuals are not at risk of contracting coronavirus through the blood donation process. Our community needs 1,000 donations every day to support patients suffering from trauma, cancer, and undergoing treatments; and coronavirus patients will likely need blood too.
- Post a message on social media educating your community on this critical need and if you are a member of a community or neighborhood group, inform them as well.
- Host a blood drive– With a surge in drive cancellations, we are looking for groups to hold drives. As of Friday, over 20 groups have canceled upcoming drives resulting in over 600 units lost. We expect cancellations to continue.
- Search for a blood drive or donor center near you– Blood drive locations
SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS
- Let’s stock the shelves for Bloodworks NW! We urge all healthy people to make sure our blood supply is reliable and safe for local patients who rely on our community members for lifesaving blood transfusions. Learn more at bloodworksnw.org
- If you’re headed to the store or pharmacy to stock up on some essential items, include donating blood with @bloodworksnw on that list and help stock up our community blood supplies as well.
- Blood is short-dated. It’s just like the milk on your shelf. And it takes 1,000 of us donating every day to ensure we have a safe and stable blood supply for all who need it now. Learn how you can help at bloodworksnw.org/coronavirus.