Canine Champion Donates Winnings to APS-FH Pet Food Pantry Program
“Canaan,” a Friday Harbor local, is Bob Anderson’s champion agility dog. Canaan has been in approximately 120 agility trials and 1500 individual agility runs. He has come in 1st place over 400 times and placed 2nd or 3rd in as many events.
Canaan is seen in the photo at right with only a fraction of the ribbons and metals he has earned over his years of competing. Canaan, now nine and a half years old, will be running in just a few veteran events at each trial as “Zeke,” the newest member of Bob’s pack, steps into the arena.
When an agility dog wins at a big event, they receive their winnings in the form of a check but, at smaller events, they win a few dollars in cash. Bob stuffed Canaan’s smaller winnings into an envelope over the years and never counted the money. When Canaan “retired,” Bob and Canaan brought Canaan’s cash winnings into APS-FH to donate it to the Pet Food Pantry. We gathered to count the cash and found that Canaan’s generous donation added up to $657 for the APS-FH Pet Food Pantry.
The Pet Food Pantry is a community pet food bank to help keep pets in their homes by providing pet food for families in need. The Pet Food Pantry is located at the Treasure Hounds store at 365-C Spring Street in Friday Harbor. Hours for pet food distribution are every other Wednesday from 10am to 1pm. Both cat and dog food are available.
Thank you, Canaan and Bob, for supporting this important program!
Our mission is to provide compassionate care and brighter futures for homeless animals.
We commit to the following:
- Provide a safe haven for homeless and lost animals
- Reunite lost pets with their owners
- Place animals in our care in qualified, loving homes
- Reduce pet overpopulation with spay/neuter education and assistance
- Advise and advocate for the protection of animals
- Network with other shelters and pet rescue groups impacted by overcrowding or natural disasters to decrease euthanasia rates and ultimately save lives
- Advance animal welfare through education, outreach and assistance
- Promote a stronger sense of the animal/human bond
- Always adhere to our no-kill philosophy for adoptable animals
Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram or visit apsfh.com for more information.