Friday Harbor Town Scarecrow Contest
The Friends of the Library and the San Juan Island Chamber of Commerce are sponsoring a SCARECROW CONTEST for the month of October. Registration is open from October 1-15 (free). The Scarecrows will be displayed from October 17-31 around Friday Harbor. If you don’t have a place to put your entry please call the Scarecrow Hotline 360-378-5240 and we will help you find a spot!
Be creative! Scarecrows can be in many forms: Traditional, animals, Halloween characters, famous people, movie or TV themes, storybook characters. Use your imagination and have some fun! And no political entries please!
Community judging will take place Oct. 17-31. Be sure and stop by and see the Scarecrows and pick your favorite.
We hope you will celebrate fall and participate in this first SCARECROW CONTEST.
For FAQ’s continue reading:
What is the Scarecrow Contest?
It is a family-friendly event that allows local residents and businesses to show off their scarecrows!
Where will the scarecrows be displayed?
Throughout the Town of Friday Harbor. If you do not have a location to display your scarecrow please contact the Scarecrow Hotline 360-378-5240 after October 2nd and we will do our best to work with you. Some businesses are not making scarecrows but would love to host yours!
When does the Festival take place?
• Registration begins October 1st and ends October 15th
• Voting begins October 16 and ends October 31st
Is there an entry fee?
No, but contributions to the Friends of the Library are always welcome!
Who is sponsoring the contest?
The event is sponsored by the Friends of the Library and the San Juan Island Chamber of Commerce.
How are the winners in each category determined?
By vote of public by paper ballot dropped off at the Chamber of Commerce. One vote per person, please.
How can I vote?
We will have ballots available at the Chamber of Commerce (165 1st St S) or we can email you one, email@example.com
What are the criteria for eligible scarecrows?
We ask only that Scarecrows be hand-made and family friendly. Absolutely no political scarecrows allowed!
What is the scarecrow entry deadline?
October 15th at 6:00pm
Are there display criteria for downtown businesses?
• We ask that Scarecrows be displayed in front of the business, preferably outside, or in front window for best viewing.
• Outside Scarecrows should not extend to the sidewalk from the front of the building, similar to a bench or flower container.
What are the prizes for winners?
A picture of you and your scarecrow in the news, online and social media, a certificate, and bragging rights!
How can I find out how to build a Scarecrow?
Check out the internet or Pinterest. Or see our suggestions below:
How To Build a Scarecrow
There is no such thing as a bad handmade, family-friendly scarecrow, so let your imagination run wild. But, if you feel the need for a little guidance, here are ideas:
What you need:
- Two poles – one 5-6 feet long – one 2-3 feet long
- Heavy twine • Pillowcase, sack, or nylon stocking
- Permanent markers, or yarn or embroidery
- Thread or needle
- Straw, hay, dry leaves, or plastic bags for stuffing
- Rag mop head or straw for hair
- Shirt or blouse and overalls, jeans or skirt
- Hat and hat pins
- Gloves, scarf, shoes
- Optional accessories – broom, rake or mop
What to do:
- Attach the shorter pole perpendicularly to longer pole about one foot from top of longer pole
- Attachment can be made by lashing the two together with heavy twine, duct tape or wood screws
- Draw a face on pillowcase, sack, or stocking
- Go over it with permanent markers, or stitch the features with yarn or embroidery
- Stuff the head with straw, hay, or dry leaves
- Slide the head over the top of the long pole and secure with twine • Add a rag mop or straw for hair and pin on a hat
- Dress the scarecrow in a shirt, blouse, overalls, jeans or skirt
- Add Gloves, scarf, accessories, and whatever else you wish
- Stuff with straw, plastic bags — newspaper is an option, but won’t stand up to bad weather
Last Steps: • Have fun and use imagination (remember, family friendly)