Virtual Forum On Islands Schools’ COVID Response
From San Juan Islands Community Network
At 7 p.m., Feb. 23, San Juan Islands Community Network will host its second virtual forum exploring how our islands’ schools are responding to the health and educational challenges posed by COVID-19.
Islanders can register for free at SJICN’s website: www.sjicn.org.
Featured forum panelists will include:
- Amber Paulson, Director of Kaleidoscope Preschool & Child Care Center
- Carl Bruner, Interim Superintendent of Lopez Island School District
- John Bogert, Board Chair of Shaw Island School District
- Eric Webb, Superintendent of Orcas Island School District
- Fred Woods, Superintendent of San Juan Island School District
Michael Soltman, former San Juan Island School District Superintendent, will once again serve as moderator.
At the forum on Feb. 23, islanders will be able to:
- Hear directly from our school leaders about current information and reasoning for decisions regarding school reopening
- Learn about the influence of federal, state and local gov. on school opening decisions
- Check in on the perspectives and concerns of students, parents, faculty and staff, and community as school opening decisions are made
- Learn about school program opportunities and limitations for students as the pandemic progresses
- Discuss opportunities for schools to provide additional services to make up for any learning losses attributed to the pandemic
SJICN’s first COVID-19 Response Forum on Nov. 8 offered an opportunity for school leaders county-wide to inform islanders about their plans to handle the COVID-19 crisis heading into the holiday season before resuming classes in January 2021. The Feb. 23 forum will build on this foundation, looking ahead to the spring and beyond.
Space is limited for the Feb. 23 virtual forum—registration is capped at 100 attendees. You can sign up online for free at www.sjicn.org.
The event will also be broadcast live on SJICN’s Facebook page: facebook.com/SJICN.
Finally, we invite parents, students, staff and community members to submit questions for the school leaders ahead of the forum. Please send an email with your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.