Nearly $119k in Donations!
Community Donated Nearly $119k During SJICF Virtual Fair Event
The San Juan Island Community Foundation is thrilled to announce an incredible $118,720 was donated during its annual County Fair Matching Grant campaign. 643 donations were made by generous community donors during the “virtual” fair days through SJICF’s online giving catalog.
The catalog featured 25 local nonprofits in a wide variety of interest areas, including education, visual and performing arts, transportation, animal welfare, and human services.
SJICF matched the first $1,000 raised for each project and awarded bonus grants of $2,500 for virtual “games” during the fair. The winners of the bonus grants were APS Friday Harbor ($500), the SJI Library ($500), On Sacred Ground ($500), and Mt. Baker Planned Parenthood ($1,000). After matching and bonus grants, 8 of the featured projects were fully funded!
Total funds awarded after matching totaled just over $152,000 to the following nonprofits (fully funded in bold):
- APS Friday Harbor – Food for 500 Shelter Animals
- Canoe Island French Camp – New Batteries for Electric Cart
- Compass Health – School Computer Telehealth Stations
- Friends of Lime Kiln Society (FOLKS) – Inspire Awe into Action/Education
- Island Rides – Share the Rides Message/Marketing Support
- Joyce L. Sobel Family Resource Center – Support YAAS (Young Adult Association of San Juan)
- KWIAHT – Naming and Knowing Indigenous Food Plants
- Leadership San Juan Islands – Future Program Structuring and Operations
- Mt. Baker Planned Parenthood – Friday Harbor Health Center Support
- Mullis Community Senior Center – Green and Clean Project
- On Sacred Ground – Connecting Salish Sea Communities for Conservation
- PADs for Parkinson’s – Help Russell and His “Nosey” Pals at PADs
- Safe San Juans – Support Survivors of Domestic and Sexual Violence
- San Juan Community Home Trust – Operating Fund
- San Juan Community Theatre – Sound System for Rehearsal and Class Space
- San Juan Historical Museum – Preserving Priceless Island Artifacts
- San Juan Island Library – Support New Library Building Project
- San Juan Island Sailing Foundation – Summer Sailing and FHHS Race Team
- San Juan Island Community Foundation – Scholarship Fund, Operations, and Healthy Community Grant Fund
- San Juan Islands Agricultural Guild – Cultivating the Next Generation of Farmers
- San Juan Islands Museum of Art – Help with Operations
- Soroptimist International of Friday Harbor – Cancer Treatment Transportation Fund
- Spring Street International School – Fresh Paint for Nash Classroom Building
- The SJICF Women’s Fund – Summer Membership Drive
- Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehab Center – Save Wild Babies
Carrie Unpingco of SJICF said, “Thank you to our many generous donors who continue to show support for our island nonprofits. The variety of featured projects allows everyone to get involved and support an interest area they are passionate about. The virtual fair event is a great example of how much impact our community can make when we work together.”
If you missed out on the fair program and wish to help the nonprofits who didn’t reach their funding goals, contact the foundation office at 360-378-1001.
Established in 1994, SJICF is celebrating more than 25 years of success in granting funds to local nonprofits and providing scholarships to local students through the generosity of donors who wish to improve the quality of life on San Juan Island. SJICF’s mission is the help the San Juan Island community thrive through inspired and informed generosity and the Foundation’s trusted stewardship. To learn more, visit sjicf.org.