Notes from the Island — April 14
Posted April 14, 2022 at 6:00 am by Jeff Arnim
- The Firefighters Association is hosting its annual Easter event this Sunday from noon to 2 p.m. The Easter Bunny will be in attendance, and there’s a stamp collecting challenge (with prizes) for kids that you can learn more about on the Fire Department’s website.
- After a snow-out on Tuesday, the high school baseball and fastpitch teams returned to the diamond on Wednesday with home games against Orcas Island. Baseball won 10–0 to improve to 9–1 on the season. Fastpitch won 17–7 to move to 5–3.
- The American Legion is hosting the 12th annual Bobby Boyce Memorial Scholarship fundraiser this Saturday at 5 p.m. There will be barbecued salmon and ribs to eat, followed by a raffle. They ask that you bring a dessert to share. Guests and members are both welcome — tickets are $30, and you can either buy them in person or by calling 360–378-5705.
- The San Juan Preservation Trust’s bluebird blitz — where volunteers count as many Western Bluebirds as they can in a two-hour period — takes place from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. on Friday. Register now, then meet at Red Mill Farm on Friday, and be sure to bring your binoculars.
- Miles Crossen and Thomas Ashcroft are looking for volunteers to help with the photography exhibition at this year’s County Fair. They need judges, people to receive and hang photos, and people to staff the booth for two- to four-hour shifts during the Fair. Email email@example.com if you’re interested.
- There’s only a week and a half left for high school seniors to apply for the San Juan Preservation Trust’s Climate Leadership Scholarships. This year SJPT will award two $4,000 scholarships to two graduating high school seniors from the San Juan Islands — $2,000 per year for each recipient’s first two years of higher education. The deadline to apply is Earth Day — Friday, April 22.
Have something to share with the Island? Whether the news is big or small, let us know!
You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.
Categories: Around Here