Notes from the Island — May 10
Posted May 10, 2022 at 6:00 am by Jeff Arnim
- The Economic Development Council has raised nearly $46,000 in support of businesses affected by the April 7 fire in Friday Harbor. Selected members of the EDC board recently finished reviewing the grant applications submitted by the affected businesses, and grant checks will start making their way to business owners later this week.
- The Family Resource Center’s kindergarten kickoff takes place on Thursday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the elementary school. It’s a chance for incoming kindergartners and their families to meet with school staff and learn more about what to expect during the 2022–2023 school year.
- The second Sustainable Tourism Management Plan community meeting takes place tonight over Zoom from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. The content of this meeting is specifically focused on San Juan Island — here’s the agenda.
- The San Juan Islands Conservation District’s Youth Conservation Corps is still accepting applications for its outdoor stewardship program for students age 12–18, but the deadline to apply is this Thursday.
- There’s a mother-son glow dance taking place on Friday at 6:30 p.m. at the Fairgrounds. Tickets are $10 per family.
Have something to share with the Island? Whether the news is big or small, let us know!
You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.