Notes from the Island — May 12
Posted May 12, 2022 at 6:00 am by Jeff Arnim
- The County Department of Emergency Management has this to say about the gale warning posted for today: “Those with boats at anchor or moored or who are planning on being out on the water tomorrow should know that the weather is going to be stormier than what we’d expect for May. We almost always end up with reports of boats aground or in distress during weather like this outside of the winter months, which can be dangerous, but can also lead to the risk of significant fuel spills.”
- San Juan Brewing Co. is hosting a fire relief fundraiser on Saturday. They’ll be donating all the profits from beer sales for the entire day.
- In honor of their ten-year anniversary, Friends and Neighbors Support Island Rec (FANS) is looking to raise $10,000. The first $6,200 will go toward funding scholarships that allow all island families to take part in Island Rec programs. The rest will be used to expand programming. You can donate here.
- Kenmore Air will fly to the San Juan Islands from Tacoma starting next year.
- Long-time Friday Harbor Labs researcher Dr. James Truman has been elected to the National Academy of Sciences.
- The Transition Waste Reduction Guild shares some island-specific ways you can minimize plastic use and waste.
- Here are the weekly grocery specials from Kings and Market Place.
Have something to share with the Island? Whether the news is big or small, let us know!
You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.
Categories: Around Here