Notes from the Island — May 14
Posted May 14, 2022 at 6:00 am by Jeff Arnim
- Friday Harbor High School baseball punched their ticket to the state tournament in dramatic fashion on Friday afternoon. Graham Learing drove home the winning run on a two-strike, two-out single in the bottom of the seventh and final inning to score pinch runner Geoffrey Volk from second base and knock off Coupeville High School 3–2 at a neutral-site game in LaConner.
- We all knew it, but the numbers prove it — tourism completely rebounded last year, with San Juan County welcoming 990,000 visitors in 2021 according to data compiled by Tourism Economics. That’s a 33 percent increase over 2020 and identical to 2019. Those visitors are estimated to have spent $267.3 million on lodging, food, beverage, recreation, retail purchases, and transportation within the county last year.
- Here’s today’s farmers market lineup.
- The spring flea and craft market takes place today at the Fairgrounds from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Bakery San Juan will be closed the week after next — May 23 through May 30.
- There’s a women’s pick-up soccer game at Linde on Sunday at 2 p.m. Beginners are welcome.
- Tommy Dale & the Dangerfields are putting on a free street dance to benefit the fire relief fund on Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m. at Brickworks.
Have something to share with the Island? Whether the news is big or small, let us know!
You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.
Categories: Around Here