Notes from the Island — Aug. 6
Posted August 6, 2022 at 8:15 am by Jeff Arnim
- The San Juan County Fire Marshal’s Office announced yesterday that the county’s fire danger rating has been increased from moderate to high. Recreational campfires 3′ x 3′ in size, in a contained fire pit or ring, are still allowed — but it’s now especially important to fully extinguish your campfire when finished. The Fire Marshal also urges caution when operating mowers, saws, and other equipment.
- After a three-year hiatus, Encampment, San Juan Island National Historic Park’s popular living history weekend, is back today and tomorrow at English Camp.
- Just a handful of performances remain for Island Stage Left’s The Comedy of Errors. Shows will take place this weekend on Saturday and Sunday, then finish up next week Thursday through Sunday. All shows start at 8 p.m. and are free, although donations are accepted.
- St. David’s Day School will be running an afternoon preschool program for ten students starting this fall. It runs four days per week — Monday and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday — from 12:45 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. Tuition is $300 per month. Submit registration forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The San Juan Concours takes place next Saturday and Sunday at San Juan Vineyard from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Vehicle registration is $10 and there will be music, food, and beverages. Proceeds benefit the Family Resource Center, the Family Umbrella Group, and Rotary International’s Mobile Dental Van and Polio Plus programs.
- San Juan Island Brewing Co. announced that their Oktoberfest event will return this year, taking place on Saturday, Oct. 1.
Have something to share with the Island? Whether the news is big or small, let us know!
You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.