Notes from the Island — Sept. 24
Posted September 24, 2022 at 9:30 am by Jeff Arnim
- It was a rough day for Friday Harbor High School sports yesterday. The football team lost 41–0 at Meridian High School in Bellingham and boys soccer lost 3–1 at Coupeville High School.
- High school girls soccer takes on Mariner High School at noon today at Linde Community Fields. Volleyball plays Granite Falls in a road game at 2 p.m.
- For the first time in 24 years, Sweet Retreat is closing for a week so that the staff can take some well-deserved time off. It’ll re-open on Monday, Oct. 3.
- There’s a Grange-sponsored cider pressing event happening today at Sweet Earth Farm — 16 Sweet Earth Ln., just off West Side Road — to welcome new Grange members. Anyone is welcome to attend. The pressing starts at 3:15 p.m., but you can also arrive early for the 2 p.m. tour of the farm. If you have extra apples of pears, bring them with you.
- Saltwater Farm is hosting an open house tomorrow from 2–6 p.m. for people interested in hosting an event there, or just curious to see what the property looks like.
- San Juan Island Food Co-op now has kiwi berries from Mitchell Bay Farms and French fingerling potatoes from Glad Acres.
- Thanks to our advertisers for their continued support of the San Juan Update — including San Juan Community Theatre.
Have something to share with the Island? Whether the news is big or small, let us know!
You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.
Categories: Around Here