Madrona Institute awards stewardship grants from San Juan Islands license plate proceeds
Posted November 29, 2022 at 7:45 am by Jeff Arnim
The Madrona Institute recently awarded $45,000 in grants to local nonprofit organizations based on revenues received from sales of the San Juan Islands special license plate. This was the second year that the program has issued grants. 2022 grants include:
- $10,000 — San Juan Islands Conservation District — San Juan Islands Youth Conservation Corps Program
- $10,000 — Madrona Institute — Coast Salish Youth Stewardship Corps Program
- $5,000 — Friends of the San Juans — Youth Environmental Mentoring Program
- $5,000 — Alchemy Art Center — Young Environmentalists Arts Intensive Program
- $5,000 — San Juan Islands Agricultural Guild — Farm Heroes for Environmental Stewardship Program
- $5,000 — Wild Orca — San Juan Islands Naturalist Program
- $5,000 — Children of the Setting Sun Productions — To support the creation of the indigenous film series and pilot episode “Canoe Journey”
“Awards are made on an annual basis for local projects and programs that support the conservation and stewardship of agricultural, cultural, historic, and natural resources in the islands, with emphasis on youth engagement,” the Madrona Institute said in a statement. “As expected, grantmaking has doubled since its first year in 2021, where $22,500 was awarded. We expect grant making will continue to increase each year as plate sales increase across the county, region, and state.”
Visit the Madrona Institute website to purchase a San Juan Islands license plate.
You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.
Categories: Around Here
Receive followup comments updates: RSS 2.0
No comments yet. Be the first!
By submitting a comment you grant the San Juan Update a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate, irrelevant and contentious comments may not be published at an admin's discretion. Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared.