Topic: Community

Pet of the Week

Written on June 20, 2016 at 5:45 am, by

Pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am Jack and I would like to apply to be your next family member. I’m handsome, as you can see and I have a great personality. I have just two requests for my new family: 1) Never photograph me with anything on my head without my express permission and  Continue Reading

Island Writers at the Fair!

Written on June 18, 2016 at 5:51 am, by

Calling All Island Writers for the San Juan County Fair! Do you enjoy writing poetry, short fiction, or creative nonfiction? How about writing for children, or writing about the Fair theme? Writers of all ages are welcome to submit original, unpublished works. While the limit of entries is 4 entries per person, your imagination is  Continue Reading

Dems HQ Grand Opening

Written on June 18, 2016 at 5:36 am, by

Just a reminder, the Grand opening of “Democracy Corner,” the San Juan County Democrats 2016 election headquarters in Friday Harbor, will be on Tuesday, June 21st from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. Everyone is invited to join State Representative Kris Lytton, State Senator Kevin Ranker and local party leaders and volunteers to kick off the  Continue Reading

Port of Friday Harbor Welcomes New Port Director

Written on June 17, 2016 at 5:53 am, by

The Port of Friday Harbor Commission is pleased to announce Ted Fitzgerald of Brookings Oregon as the new Executive Director at the Port of Friday Harbor beginning July 1. After evaluation of more than 30 applications from around the country, Ted was chosen as the most qualified candidate to lead the Port of Friday Harbor.  Continue Reading

Submarine Cable Project Update

Written on June 17, 2016 at 5:52 am, by

Work continues to prepare for the 2017 cable replacement The Lopez to San Juan Island submarine cable replacement project is progressing with work at Otis Perkins Park on Lopez this month. Conduit was laid from the vault at the Park to the nearby submarine cable terminal. The land portion of the new submarine cable will  Continue Reading

The Market Bucks Program

Written on June 17, 2016 at 5:48 am, by

Funders Promote Locally Grown Food for WIC and Senior Farmers Programs San Juan County Health and Community Services has partnered with Soroptimist International of Friday Harbor, Orcas Island Community Foundation, the Lopez Locavores, and the Honeywell Foundation, to offer Market Bucks at Farmers Markets on Orcas, Lopez, and San Juan Islands. The Market Bucks Program  Continue Reading

Seahawks Mascot and Drumline to Appear in FH Parade

Written on June 17, 2016 at 5:45 am, by

Seattle Seahawk Mascot Blitz And Blue Thunder Drumline Join 2016 Independence Day Parade The San Juan Island Chamber of Commerce, sponsor of the nationally recognized Friday Harbor Independence Day Parade, is proud to announce the return of ever popular Seattle Seahawk mascot Blitz for the 2016 event. This year Blitz will be joined by the  Continue Reading

Who’s the Mystery Artist?

Written on June 16, 2016 at 5:57 am, by

Can you help? The Friday Harbor Arts Commission is working on preparing a catalog of all the public art in Town, both art owned by the Town and art that is privately owned but in the public way. There is a mural on the left side wall of Friday Harbor Drug, between the two sections of  Continue Reading

Chamber Chat

Written on June 16, 2016 at 5:48 am, by

It’s time once again for our monthly Chamber Chat column, written by Lauren Cohen, Co-Owner of San Juan Canvas & Chamber Board President… Here comes summer and with the season come the visitors. The summer season is a really fun and energetic time on our island. It is a time to show off all that  Continue Reading

PAL Delivered $45K; Energy Assist Funding Still Available

Written on June 16, 2016 at 5:41 am, by

Monthly Bill Credit for Low Income Households OPALCO’s Project PAL provided grants to 255 co-op member households during the 2015-2016 heating season for a total of $44,913 awarded. An independent committee of co-op members distributes the awards with a priority to serve seniors and members with disabilities. Project PAL is funded through voluntary donations made  Continue Reading

Beginner Swim Lessons

Written on June 15, 2016 at 4:57 pm, by

In the Update mailbag today we find a note from Amy Wynn at SJI Fitness… I am so excited to be teaching beginner swim lessons this summer with Susan Williamson at San Juan Fitness. We’ve designed a program for beginners of 5 half-hour lessons, Monday through Friday. We’ve noticed in the past how quickly children progress when they have  Continue Reading

FREE Drop-In Soccer Clinics June 18

Written on June 14, 2016 at 5:43 am, by

Island youth get the chance to work on their soccer skills during free drop-in clinics on Saturday, June 18 at the Friday Harbor Elementary School fields. Families and Neighbors Support Island Rec (FANS) and Challenger Sports are sponsoring the clinics, aimed at children ages three to 12. Coaches from the British Soccer Camp program will  Continue Reading

Movers Wanted

Written on June 13, 2016 at 5:19 am, by

Just got a note from Bill and Rita Ament. Looks like they found a place. Bill says… We are moving.  We need 4 strong and reliable men.  If you have a truck, it’s a big plus.  We desire to start moving on Monday, June 20th and the rest of the week.  We have rented a  Continue Reading

Democrats Open 2016 Election Headquarters

Written on June 12, 2016 at 9:31 am, by

The Grand opening of “Democracy Corner,” the San Juan County Democrats 2016 election headquarters in Friday Harbor, will be on Tuesday, June 21st from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. Everyone is invited to join State Representative Kris Lytton, State Senator Kevin Ranker and local party leaders and volunteers to kick off the election season at  Continue Reading

Help out Purple & Gold

Written on June 11, 2016 at 12:00 pm, by

Just a reminder – you can still volunteer to help with the SJ Fitness / Lakedale / King’s Market Triathlon and Marathon this year and help out Purple and Gold at the same time! Every year, Purple and Gold receives a stipend from SJ Fitness for coordinating volunteers for these events. Purple and Gold, a  Continue Reading

Annual Hazardous Waste RoundUp

Written on June 11, 2016 at 10:22 am, by

What? The hazardous waste roundup collection event is our once-yearly opportunity to legally and responsibly dispose of poisonous, flammable, corrosive or other hazardous chemicals. Why? Proper disposal protects your health and the health of the workers that handle your waste. Proper disposal also keeps chemicals out of our drinking water and out of the environment.  Continue Reading