October is National Co-op Month!
OPALCO, San Juan Island Food Co-op and Orcas Food Co-op are all hosting member appreciation events this month to celebrate the benefits of co-ops.
As member-owned and member-controlled businesses, cooperatives commit to meeting the needs of their members and building stronger communities. Cooperatives strengthen the local economy, generate local jobs, and are committed to giving back to our island communities.
OPALCO has three events planned:
- Friday Harbor: October 18, 9 am – 3 pm
- Lopez: October 24, 11 am – 2 pm
- Orcas: October 25, 9 am – 3 pm
San Juan Island Food Co-op events are:
- Open House, October 12, 6:30 – 8 pm
- Wellness Consultations – October 16 – 20
- Soil Composition Workshop – October 23 – 24
Plus, all goods produced by other co-ops are on sale all month.
Orcas Food Co-op events are:
- 3% Thursday, October 19
- Open House, October 20, 11 am – 1 pm
- Fabulous Fermentation, October 22, 3-5 pm
Please celebrate with your local co-ops this month! Find out more at www.opalco.com.
Orcas Power & Light Cooperative (OPALCO) is our member-owned cooperative electric utility, serving more than 11,000 members on 20 islands in San Juan County. OPALCO provides electricity that is 95% greenhouse-gas free and is generated predominantly by hydroelectric plants. OPALCO was founded in 1937.