Food and Art for the Fall Family Art Days at SJIMA
Families of all ages can explore making art of, or with food! The San Juan Islands Museum of Art‘s (SJIMA) Fall Family Art Days begin Saturday, September 28, from noon to 5:00 pm, at 540 Spring Street. The classes are upstairs on the second floor.
Children and their family members create entertaining and interesting projects that take inspiration from the Food For Thought exhibition at SJIMA. Kids get to leave with the take-home art they made.
Experienced art instructor Lana Hickman provides guidance, materials and fascinating new ideas. All are welcome to enjoy this FREE opportunity for fun and creativity.
The schedule of classes is as follows:
- September 28 – Patterns in Edible Flowers-Multi-media collage.
- October 5 – Fish prints: scales and all! -Paint fish in tempera.
- October 12 – Unusual Foods & Medicines-Draw reeds and nettles.
- October 19 – Molecules for Foodies-Build molecular shapes.
- October 26 – Food of the Future-Imagine shapes & colors in paint.
- November 2 – The Stars Inside Apples-Explore in mixed media.
- November 9 – Vegetables & Fruits for Every Climate-Create in clay.
- November16 – Your choice! Design an eco-friendly food wrapper or your dream up your heart’s desire for Thanksgiving.
Food For Thought Micro Views: Threats and Prospects by Robert Dash opens September 27.
We thank our sponsors who make it possible to bring this program to our residents and guests at no charge: Suzy Wakefield and the San Juan Island Community Foundation. We appreciate our supporters Browne’s Home Center, Earthbox Inn & Spa, Elan Video, Kings Market, Leonie Griswold, Mystical Mermaid, Nana’s Holiday House and designer, Jennifer Krembs.
Go to www.sjima.org to explore how you can join the art of discovery at SJIMA where there is always something new-like Art For Fun for beginning adult artists. Regular SJIMA hours are Friday-Monday from 11-5.