Notes from the Island — May 6
Posted May 6, 2022 at 6:00 am by Jeff Arnim
- Friday Harbor High School baseball and fastpitch both had their Thursday games at Orcas Island cancelled due to rain. The games will not be rescheduled. Baseball takes to the field for the league championship tiebreaker against Coupeville next Thursday at 3 p.m. in LaConner.
- All 50 of the second-run prints of Doug DeMeerleer’s painting of the buildings at the corner of Spring and First Street sold last week, bringing the grand total of funds raised to help those impacted by the April 7 fire to $2,613.
- The American Legion is hosting a spaghetti feed and dessert auction this evening from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. They’re raising funds in support of summer tournaments for the Babe Ruth baseball team they sponsor. It’s $25 per plate or $45 for two. Food and treats are provided by Stacey’s Catering. Curbside pick-up is available.
- There’s a bake sale fundraiser tomorrow from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. outside the Mullis Center. The proceeds go to Free Wheelin’ Rides, who hope to provide a mobility van for island wheelchair users and others who need specialized transportation.
- Tommy Dale & the Dangerfields are putting on a free street dance to benefit the fire relief fund next Sunday, May 15, from 2 to 4 p.m. at Brickworks.
- Island Rec is holding a pickleball tournament two weeks from now — on Saturday, May 21 and Sunday, May 22 — at the Fairgrounds. It’s a doubles tournament and prizes will be awarded to the winners in each bracket. It’s $33 if you enter by May 12, $38 after that.
Have something to share with the Island? Whether the news is big or small, let us know!
You can support the San Juan Update by doing business with our loyal advertisers, and by making a one-time contribution or a recurring donation.