Posted May 6, 2022 at 4:58 pm by Jeff Arnim
Local volunteers for the Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA) program are hosting an online introduction to Medicare for enrollees joining the program in 2022.
On Thursday, May 12 at 1 p.m., the presenters will outline how Medicare works, its different coverage options, and key program milestones and dates that must be met in order to avoid penalties.
To register, email email@example.com or call 360–376-5892. You’ll need to provide your first name, last name, and email address.
SHIBA is overseen by the state’s Office of the Insurance Commissioner to provide free, unbiased, confidential counseling in San Juan County. The organization is sponsored locally by the Inter Island Healthcare Foundation.
Posted May 6, 2022 at 3:26 pm by San Juan Update
The month of May is always a busy time in your school district. Each of your schools administer the State exams, organize year end field trips, and work diligently to keep all students focused as the sun and warmth return. This is an exciting time of year as schools move toward that last day in June while at the same time preparing for the fall of 2022 opening.
We have learned much over the last two years. The COVID pandemic created pressures not seen before and the students and staff in this district showed resiliency in the face of these challenges. I can assure you this great staff is committed to serving these children and supporting their academic, social, and emotional growth.
As we end one year and prepare for the next, there is some important information that all of us in this community should know. Continue Reading
Posted May 6, 2022 at 12:57 pm by Jeff Arnim
The San Juan Island Food Co-op is looking for an Assistant Manager who is passionate about organic and natural foods and products. Learn more in the Island Jobs section of the San Juan Update.
Posted May 6, 2022 at 9:18 am by Jeff Arnim
In a media release published yesterday, San Juan County officials reported 18 active COVID cases on San Juan Island, in addition to 17 on Lopez Island and 13 on Orcas Island. By 9 a.m. this morning, active cases on San Juan Island had jumped to 29.
The County also noted that they have reason to believe the actual number of active cases is substantially higher. “Many cases [are] going unreported as individuals utilize over-the-counter test kits (OTC),” the County said in their media release. “The number of cases that are reported and tracked is estimated to account for only approximately 20 percent of cases actually present in the community.”
If that assessment is accurate, it means that San Juan Island’s true active case count is nearly 150 cases.
Free COVID testing kits are still available through the Washington State Department of Health’s Say Yes COVID test website. Islanders can order up to two test kits each month. Delivery is currently estimated to take one to two weeks.
Posted May 6, 2022 at 6:00 am by Jeff Arnim
- Friday Harbor High School baseball and fastpitch both had their Thursday games at Orcas Island cancelled due to rain. The games will not be rescheduled. Baseball takes to the field for the league championship tiebreaker against Coupeville next Thursday at 3 p.m. in LaConner.
- All 50 of the second-run prints of Doug DeMeerleer’s painting of the buildings at the corner of Spring and First Street sold last week, bringing the grand total of funds raised to help those impacted by the April 7 fire to $2,613.
- The American Legion is hosting a spaghetti feed and dessert auction this evening from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. They’re raising funds in support of summer tournaments for the Babe Ruth baseball team they sponsor. It’s $25 per plate or $45 for two. Food and treats are provided by Stacey’s Catering. Curbside pick-up is available.
- There’s a bake sale fundraiser tomorrow from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. outside the Mullis Center. The proceeds go to Free Wheelin’ Rides, who hope to provide a mobility van for island wheelchair users and others who need specialized transportation.
- Tommy Dale & the Dangerfields are putting on a free street dance to benefit the fire relief fund next Sunday, May 15, from 2 to 4 p.m. at Brickworks.
- Island Rec is holding a pickleball tournament two weeks from now — on Saturday, May 21 and Sunday, May 22 — at the Fairgrounds. It’s a doubles tournament and prizes will be awarded to the winners in each bracket. It’s $33 if you enter by May 12, $38 after that.
Have something to share with the Island? Whether the news is big or small, let us know!
Posted May 5, 2022 at 3:57 pm by Jeff Arnim
Merri Ann Simonson sends along this year-over-year real estate market snapshot for the San Juan Islands.
The median sale price for homes on San Juan Island increased roughly 13 percent in 12 months — but it could have been worse. During the same period, the median price rose 37 percent on Orcas Island and 46 percent on Lopez Island.