- OPALCO says that the Aug. 6 power outage on San Juan Island was due to a foreign object interfering with the island’s transmission line. The crew spent several hours narrowing down and patrolling the line section where the fault happened, although the object that caused the issue was never found. After patrolling and ensuring the lines were clear, crews began re-powering the island in phases, restoring full service by 12:30 a.m.
- Jane Fuller — who is running for County Council in District 3 in the November election — will be attending each day of the County Fair, from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Gazebo near the Food Court. She invites community members to share with her their thoughts and ideas on the future of the County.
- Peace Island Medical Center is holding a half-day sports physical clinic for established patients in grades 6–12 in the afternoon on Monday, Aug. 29. The exams cost $40 and are not typically covered by insurance. Call 360–378-1756 to schedule an appointment.
- Together with San Juan Island National Historic Park, the Library is hosting a virtual event titled Anatomy of a Prairie tonight on Zoom at 7 p.m. The event looks at what prairies are, how they work, and why they matter. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Island Rec is looking for paddlers ages 16 and up that are interested in getting on the water through its introductory outrigger canoe class, which happens on Wednesday, Aug. 24 from 5 to 7 p.m., leaving from Shipyard Cove. No prior experience is needed and life jackets will be provided for paddlers who do not have their own. The early registration price of $27 expires tomorrow; after that it’s $32. You can register on the Island Rec website.
- The fall edition of the Great Islands Clean-up will take place this year on Saturday, Sept. 24 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Here are the week’s specials from Market Place and Kings.
Have something to share with the Island? Whether the news is big or small, let us know!